Memphis Minnie by Del Rey. She was born Lizzie Douglas in Algiers, LA. Makes some sense if you’ve just come from France. Blues musician. L LEDBETTER: I think it was less documented. Her work (over 200 recordings) leads the way through the development of blues guitar playing, starting with her first recordings in 1929. Further, the (2x) system became an economic necessity for a book of this size. Camus said the whole purpose of art is to escape judgment. And postmodernism is not even a thing! Man, woman, and child. Some believe her fame was the reason for her divorce with McCoy due to jealousy and resentment towards her. Others like ‘Ma Rainey’ and ‘He’s in the Ring (Doing That Same Old Thing)’ were about celebrities. She could see from that place of concealment what was happening. We couldn’t afford music lessons, of course. I’m going to put on a recording for you. Interviews; Lists; Streams; Videos; All Posts; Recommendations; My Profile; Advanced Search; Facebook; Twitter; Tumblr; RSS; Active. She could remember every night her grandmother going out and she would sing this song to the Seven Sisters, which was the constellation Pleiades. She was literate. I would like to say that the people who have produced the scholarship that I have had the pleasure of reading, I don’t see them as my critics. Profil: American blues singer and guitarist. Chuck Berry based his ‘I Want to be Your Driver on the Chauffeur’, while Jefferson Airplane adapted it as ‘Chauffeur Blues’ on their 1966 debut album. The Complete Works of George Gordon (Lord) Byron. Guitar Queen. I went to the university library one day and I told one of the librarians that I knew there were at least a few papers written on me and could he help me find them. He would walk into these houses that my mother would clean and if they had an organ—or a piano!—in five minutes he would have the feel for it. Del Rey knows her songs and styles better than anyone, and she brings them to vibrant life on this thoroughly entertaining, enlightening and exciting DVD lesson. People should write critical work and do critical scholarship, but ideally in another language that is pretty near extinct. I didn’t think I could compete with that. Didn’t know no better, oh boy, in my girlish days. How are people going to see me? print. [Reads] Sermons he read and lectures he endured and homilies and lives of all the saints. You were told to sign your X. Memphis Minnie was given a piece of paper and told to sign her X to it, but she could read and she could write. My brother was outraged. Issuu is a digital publishing platform that makes it simple to publish magazines, catalogs, newspapers, books, and more online. Blues singer. More. Oppression is a consequence. Minnie, who Bukka White described as “the best thing goin’ in the woman line”, died on 6 August 1973. Every year I think this is the year he finally runs out of great images from old blues ads and every year he still manages to amaze me. It didn’t matter if I was Mexican. My mama is sick. But I still didn’t do it. In a stroke he had destroyed everything. There’s a boa constricted in a lemon stick, I don’t mind being with you but my mama is sick. Died : August 06, 1973 in Memphis, Tennessee. She worked with a whole host of excellent blues performers, which bears testament to her talent, she is even supposed to have beaten Big Bill Broonzy in a musical cutting contest. Because that laugh had been the laughter of the devil. That’s one level of reading, of course. I am mule ignorant. You went to fine parties. The deficient. . Rhetoric of the signified. Boom! Those days, in the dialect, they didn’t say 1917. I’m saying look at the conditions of power. One should never analyze the generation of one’s own work. Oh, boy. Memphis Minnie shattered that mould as a guitarist, singer and songwriter as steeped in country Blues as any Delta songster and when she moved to Chicago in 1930, she made a telling contribution to the Blues’ urban transformation. About violence. Didn’t know no better, oh boy, in my girlish days. First Came Memphis Minnie Maria Muldaur digs deeps into the blues By Margaret Moser, 10:25AM, Fri. Nov. 2, 2012. A gestalt is like one of those black and white drawings you find in a book of optical illusions. That’s why I wanted you to read the Paul Laurence Dunbar poem, “We Wear the Mask.” Masks, do you see? They ended up constructing one themselves. How she survived, there was this car—these people were middle class, they had cars—she climbed underneath and hugged onto the chassis. . It is not a movement, it is not an artistic style, it is not an anything. 1 1938-1952: Merline Johnson : Crime Don't Pay: Merline Johnson Vol. They look kind of like potatoes. He was three years older than me and understood what was going on. Most of it has not. He was a medievalist. Memphis Minnie. She stayed in touch with her audience, singing about what they both knew, and understood. Let’s look at this buried history. A Latina. 2. Find the best clips, watch programmes, catch up on the news, and read the latest Memphis Minnie interviews. Phew! My mother came a little early. That was the news. I am a scholar, myself. “Oh, we got tired of swimming.” We didn’t tell her. Jug bands sometimes use them. “What are you doing out here?” she wanted to know. As soon as you start going into the background, it never ends. Or if they could prove that you were insane. He was so frustrated and in love with her, requited and unrequited, all these contradictory sensations and impulses, that the only thing he could feel to do was slap her across the face. She used to tell me, as she’d be making me clean the toilet twelve or fourteen times until it was spotless, that no one is ever going to pay me to read books. That is an African-American newspaper founded in the 1800s. Poetry means: married to spirit. No shade. Memphis Minnie was born Lizzie Douglas in rural Algiers, Louisiana on June 3, 1887. With taking babies by their legs and smashing their heads against boulders in front of their mothers. Weeder of Wreckage, Historian of the Native / Who says: It happened. The lady who was at the forefront of transforming the blues into ‘Pop Music’ continued to record up until 1954. You might have to dance around a little, but you can do it. Your email address will not be published. and, let me be clear . See? It's about one of my big hero's Memphis Minnie. Twenty-one was tough. She couldn’t remember any of the words. Nineteen and seventeen. In this work, slightly less obviously autobiographical and more generally philosophical in nature, Cervantes took on the basic human conditions of love and pain, in a language reminiscent at times, in its imagery and its spare, piercing phraseology, of the Duino Elegies of Rainer Maria Rilke. It is not a verb. I’m on my way . Political correctness. Little Son died in 1961 and soon after the woman who was remembered by many of her musical contemporaries from Chicago as “a hard drinking women” had a stroke. Some basic knowledge is necessary here. forever imprisoned in the mindjail of taxonomies & hierarchies. . It is basic Ethnic Studies 101. She would have torn the place up. Bingo! They gave her a shot. It was sold off the back of train cars. Can you really answer that question? Later, in the ’40s, she’d talk about the African-American soldiers coming back from World War II and who were then under the system of Jim Crow that lasted until 1960. The BBC artist page for Memphis Minnie. We had money but we couldn’t go and buy a soda or something to eat. And all of that rape? Tried to run away from that home of mine. “Can I get you something? Memphis Minnie was born Lizzie Douglas in rural Algiers, Louisiana on June 3, 1887. You’ve got to give me that. Is there a mathematical formula? Do you know his Elective Affinities? I remember having this assignment in school to trace my family tree, and I had to interview my grandmother. Give me strength. MM: (spoken: What you want, Kansas Joe? Here is a short article I had published in 2016 in Classic Rock's 'The Blues Mag'. I got the feeling that she was just warming up. So you are divided up and your divided consciousness has to do with your conflict as a Feminist versus a Mexican. What we bring to the text, that is how we hear it. The sterilization of the mongrel races. Forced her to make her X on the paper and they sterilized her. In her later years, an older, thinner Memphis Minnie would sit and cackle over what she called “The Storming of the SPC.” “Oh, it was a riot,” she would say in interviews. Somebody wrote about it that in the Oxford English Dictionary there are about twenty different definitions of the word “cables.” Yes, and I intended every one of them. You can’t say Chicana is one thing. As a child, she was called Kid Douglas and she learned how to play the guitar and banjo. . So, the research that I am doing right now, on Jim Crow . I’m on my way . The powers that be, they didn’t want a bunch of mulatto kids running around. More by Memphis Minnie. What could you do? Memphis Minnie continued to have success throughout the years recording under many different labels like Decca Records and Chess Records. Name. to Frisco town. Soon everyone is fighting and in competition for the little crumbs of grants and little travel disbursements and they are spending all their time writing proposals. What happened to this knowledge? this is not research in the sanctioned sense. Although in infancy a little wild. to Frisco town. She saw that it authorized her sterilization and she refused to sign. Divorce Expanded Musical Horizons. So, this is a case where the substance of the subject matter is not truth and beauty. It was only fourteen miles. What happens in some English departments is that instead of sticking to actual conditions and relations—or, in other words: history—it becomes about how smart you are. . What happened to these cultures? Married three times, to Joe McCoy (aka Kansas Joe), Casey Bill Weldon, and Ernest Lawlers (aka Little Son Joe) Aliasse: Gospel Minnie, Lizzie Douglas, Minnie Lawlers, Minnie McCoy, Texas Tessie. And I know that was an artist that he really enjoyed, but to April's point, I agree. That was pretty much my family. Couldn’t drink water. He could make music out of a blade of grass. Memphis Minnie was one of the greatest fingerpicking guitarists of the Twentieth Century, part of the backbone of African American blues history. There was a time when I was five years old and my brother and I had been left off at the public swimming pool in downtown San Jose and I got too dark in the sun. That’s where the poet dwells: in conditions and relations. Here is my opportunity. again, taxonomies and hierarchies. Not in vain they toiled. Much less a piano. Give me the transcendental realization to accept the fact that I will probably never get any smarter than I am right now.” That this is as far as I go in terms of my understanding. I fell in love with her when I was fifteen, listening to KPFA radio, in Berkeley. Memphis Minnie. I flagged a train. I was Lord Byron. Memphis Minnie. I was being good, I thought. How far are you going to go? If you can’t get a grant to haunt the Library of Congress. Memphis Minnie’s lyrics have been interpreted and documented by so-called blues experts. Memphis Minnie Acoustic Blues • 1991 Play Shuffle. I didn’t go to class for any of this. But mainly I have lived these things. Nineteen and seventeen. 1. That’s a lot of abortions. Your email address will not be published. A Ph.D. student. At age eighteen, waiting outside a bus depot in a little doggy diner, I even wrote, in an earnest act of ceremony, a journal entry that was a formal vow of wedded union between myself and The Muse. My brother had dropped out of high school and he had a job in the library of this other high school and he used to “borrow” books. Selected discography. Whitman! An upper-class guy totally enamored of the exoticism of the new world, of new thought, and of the idea of freedom. What was happening, “separate but equal” had become actual law, whereby, legally, African-Americans couldn’t drink at certain fountains, couldn’t try on clothes in certain shops (because a white person wouldn’t want to have to try on the same clothes afterward), couldn’t get haircuts at certain shops, couldn’t be educated. . Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070 Yet that is the chief project of these institutions of higher education. So you see there was a connection there. It's also pretty great. U.S. Census listings of 1900 and 1910 place her in Tunica County, but she gave her birthplace as Algiers, Louisiana (June 3, 1897). He played by ear, songs on the radio. Especially by not plugging in something like: Race Relations in Walls, Mississippi. There is certainly a place for theory. She’d walk there. Hierarchies. Write to your congressman? That’s pretty good.” These are all white guys and there they are in these political science seminars because they’ve known since they were five years old the names of all the generals and all the battles and they’d read all the history books, knew all the “master class” aesthetics. My mother, my grandmother, my brother and I. Or in another family talk about your third cousin who was the perpetrator wearing that boot. For every sentence she finishes, she leaves five dangling. Born . Pretty ironic, since it is practically all that I do now. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth and beauty. Kommentieren Schreibe den … Your email address will not be published. ABOUT. Didn’t have a dime. Memphis Minnie died of complications from a stroke in Memphis in 1973 and buried in Walls, Miss. Postmodernism is a gestalt consciousness. Styles. CONTACT. Memphis Minnie’s legacy is not just that she recorded across four decades, she was practically the lone female voice in the increasingly male dominated 1930’s urban Blues scene. She wants to look at Chicana writers and she’s worked up this triad. What’s also open to debate is which one of them was ever married to Memphis Minnie is also open to conjecture. Forget capitalism. Pursue your obsession.” So, I decided I was going to analyze an anti-aesthetic. Want to hear about my first encounter with a critic? She also sat in with Little Son, Bumble Bee Slim and the Memphis Jug Band. In my field, in the humanities, in this goods and services economy, we are working in this legitimization factory. It is not the ignorance of the students that makes it difficult to teach them this material. . It didn’t matter if I was Indian. Koko Taylor said, “it was the first Blues record I ever heard.” Lightnin’ Hopkins even ‘answered’ Minnie with his 1960 song, Automobile Blues. In poetry, in teaching poetry, rather than in teaching Ethnic Studies, there is a layering that gives you access to the symbolic realm and the symbolic realm is where significance is. How many dissertations have got to be written about me before I can be considered legitimate? They were cheap. The memory which should have destroyed me long ago.” Lucille Clifton writes, “Something has tried to kill me and has failed.” I don’t need to be an enemy to myself, do I? By 1935 Minnie and Joe McCoy had split up, and Minnie married Little Son Joe in the late 30s. It was done with calm, as if they were at a holiday fair. You don’t gather around the dinner table and talk about your second cousin who had his fingers crushed by a boot. Carlos Castaneda’s. A young girl, eleven, thirteen, seventeen, traveling, hitchhiking. This is a scene in my screenplay, because this is what she described. HOME. Levels of revelation. That’s what I wanted you to understand, when I wrote you that e-mail about how to prepare for our meeting: Best to ground one’s self in actual conditions & relations—the poet’s field—rather than wander in essences and illusions of time . When I came up for tenure recently, I didn’t have the documentation of just how many people were writing papers and articles in which my work figured. She could remember a song. She comes at me through this theoretical framework. Where? It is force. That she was really born in 1896. I became obsessed, like with poetry. Entdecke mehr als 56 Millionen Songs, Tausende Hörbücher, Hörspiele und Podcasts, erstelle deine eigenen Playlists und teile deine Lieblingssongs mit deinen Freund*innen. I'm going to the mill; what do you think? The musical question of “what’s the matter with the Mill?” was first posed by singer-songwriter-guitarist Memphis Minnie (1987-1973) on Oct. 11, 1930, when she recorded the song with her husband, Kansas Joe McCoy (1905-1950), at the Vocalion Race Records label in Chicago. Injustice. We live in an economy of goods and services. And the thing about suffering is it does not compute within the framework of taxonomies and hierarchies. You could get them in plastic. What would you advise?” He stopped in his tracks. ”All the SPC people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. She’s talking about hitchhiking. But repression does not deconstruct. I’ve said that I have a love-hate relationship with the institute of higher learning, but I’m not opposed to scholarship. No, this is not my “agenda.” This is not my field of studies, Ethnic Studies. So there was this song in her native language that my grandmother’s grandmother would sing, that my grandmother could not remember because she was sold into slavery at eleven years old, and she would look up at the stars and try, always, to remember. Ask me again and I’ll tell you the same!” She refused to participate. Best Frank Sinatra Christmas Songs: 20 Classics That Define The Holidays, ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ Soundtrack: Vince Guaraldi Trio’s Seasonal Gift, Freddie Mercury’s Munich Years: An Interview With Phoebe Freestone, New Jack Swing Fashion And Style: A Photo Essay, Photo: Hooks Bros/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images. Memphis Minnie: Ernest Lawlars (May 18, 1900 – November 14, 1961) was an American blues guitarist, vocalist, and composer, known professionally as Little Son Joe. My favorite philosopher, Rikki Lee Jones, said, “You don’t have to suffer to create art. One of Foucault’s big ideas is “the insurrection of subjugated knowledges.” Back to the esoteric philosophies from the Far East. I should pay more attention to such things. . The insight of any research is determined by the level at which the object of that research is being read. She was the quintessential soapbox speaker. An updated and revised edition of the iconic blueswoman’s biography gets to the heart of the hoodoo, and then some. Not Byron’s Don Juan. A body found in a ravine near the White River in Seattle, Washington area has been identified as missing actress Misty Upham. Werbefrei streamen oder als CD und MP3 kaufen bei Amazon.de. How can one pain be legitimized over another? Elizabeth “Kid” Douglas, known as Memphis Minnie was an intricate guitarist, an astute songwriter and a stylistic innovator. I mean, I know that Harry Smith talks about - like I said, he doesn't - there's not a lot of interviews with Harry, but, you know, he did come across Memphis Minnie. For the Record …. You’re Canadian. There was this shooting gallery silhouette and it was painted brown, on this wall, and I was darker than that figure. She grew up in Walls Mississippi, about 20 miles from Memphis on Route 61, in a time before rural electrification and national media created a mass culture. . I've gotta tell you, Paul and Beth Garon's Woman with Guitar is a genuinely odd little volume. Born : June 03, 1897 in Algiers, Louisiana. Many of her songs, like ‘Bumble Bee’, ‘Dirty Mother For You’ and ‘Butcher Man’, were openly sexual, all delivered in her confident, sassy way. Terror. . Shakin’ And Stirring: The Real Rock ‘n’ Roll Of Johnny Kidd, ‘Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood’: DMX’s Great Hip-Hop Disruption, ‘Not The Actual Events’: Documenting Nine Inch Nails’ Brooding Synth-Rock, ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’: Queen’s First American No.1, ‘Can We Still Be Friends’: Robert Palmer Sings Todd Rundgren, Lana Del Rey Shares Teaser For ‘Chemtrails Over The Country Club’ Video, Lil Yachty Set To Co-Host TikTok New Year’s Eve Bash, Billie Eilish Teases ‘New Era’ On Social Media, Watch Paul McCartney Discuss His Favorite Beatles Songs, Mickey Guyton Performs Stunning ‘O Holy Night’ Cover On NBC’s ‘TODAY’. Before they validate me and listen to me and concur with me and change their minds on my account? . At twelve he was fine. Memphis hat einige der besten Rapper und Produzenten, Musiker und generell fantastische Menschen. I mean, I know that Harry Smith talks about - like I said, he doesn't - there's not a lot of interviews with Harry, but, you know, he did come across Memphis Minnie. Oh, boy. These undermining questions. She talks about how there were these Nazis and they came into East Saint Louis and tore apart every black person they could find. I was reading every single issue from her time period and somewhere along the line I found these conversations. This is the laughter that can save you. That’s straight from my book. . E-Mail Adresse. On the other hand, there is the laughter of the angels. I do believe, though, that one should not analyze one’s own milieu. Before she turned ten, she and her family had relocated to Wall, Mississippi, just south of Memphis. You’ve read Goethe? They said 19 and 17. I wanted to talk to her about death. Certainly not about being an Indian, because they would slaughter you for that. It comes after. I went to him and said, “I’m sitting in these seminars with these guys who have 20,000 dollar educations.” And this is at a time when 20,000 dollars was more than the whole financial history of my entire family tree, much less what anyone made in a year, much less what anyone paid for a year of education for any one child. Because that is the project: legitimization. Search the archive for over fifty years of fiction, poetry, essays, and more. Auf Discogs können Sie sich ansehen, wer an Vinyl von Blues Classics by Memphis Minnie mitgewirkt hat, Rezensionen und Titellisten lesen und auf dem Marktplatz nach der Veröffentlichung suchen. You may have heard my c. Here is a short article I had published in 2016 in Classic Rock's 'The Blues Mag'. Not in vain they toiled. The classes become these encounter sessions, these group therapy sessions, because the subject is not truth and beauty, it is death. He’d play underneath the freeway ramps, because the tones would resonate there. You can’t say hippie is one thing. . For self-protection. She remarried after to Earnest Lawlars (a.k.a. Look at the conditions and look at the relations. This is what I try to teach: that there must be a place for creative generation that is distinct from selection, distinct from revision, distinct from judgment. You really should know this already. Like, “How Chicana are you?” Right? Memphis Minnie was born on this date in 1897. June 3, 1897 in Algiers, LA. Her image of the powerful, take no-crap guitar hero was perfectly suited to the modern women’s movement and she continues inspiring new generations. Dissertations, theses, publications, presentations. Memphis Minnie’s real name was Lizzie Douglas, birthed as the first born of thirteen children to Abe and Gertrude Douglas in Algiers, Louisiana on June 3, 1897. Black, Indian women were sent to San Francisco. In her songs Minnie also tackled crime, voodoo, trains, health and the perennial subject of chickens! What I wanted to do, I didn’t have the background for. “Don’t sit in the sun.” The pool officials stood me up in front of a wall. Noch keine Übersetzung vorhanden. Weeder of Wreckage, Historian of the Native / Who says: Your email address will not be published. Divorce Expanded Musical Horizons. They tamed him down amongst them to destroy his natural spirit. At this time, blacks were not even allowed on the trains. You couldn’t complain. Illness Forced Retirement. The longevity of Minnie’s career meant that her records cover a wide range of subject matter. Twenty-one was tough. The word triad, yes. “Memphis Minnie, Genocide, and Identity Politics,” an interview with Lorna Dee Cervantes, appeared in the Fall 2003 issue of MQR. Nineteen and seventeen. Early blues star, her stirring vocals paired with her forceful guitar to forge a resonant sound, beginning in the 1920s. I was a street kid. Memphis Minnie was really the creator of the whole Chicago Blues style and was, besides, the unacknowledged inventor of the electric guitar. Her first book, Emplumada, published in 1981 by Arte Publico Press, was the recipient of an American Book Award and vaulted her into prominence as (in her own words at that time) “a Chicana writer, a feminist writer, a political writer.” Her next book, From the Cables of Genocide, published a decade later by the University of Pittsburgh Press, won both the Paterson Prize for Poetry and the Latino Literature Award. These things are not a surprise to me. For real music you went to the symphony. How you hear a thing. You look like an Indian.” “But, mom,” I answered back, “we are Indians.” “Yes,” she’d say. Memphis Minnie (known to her family as “Kid”) was born June 3, 1897, in Algiers Louisiana, the oldest of 13 brothers and sisters. 1920s - 1950s. Is not justice. She’d ride a pig. She just kept crying. Memphis Minnie spent most of her childhood in Mississippi, where she was known as “Kid” Douglas. Is not, in Kant’s formulation: “Education lifts man’s sorrows to a higher level.” Instead, the subject matter is ugliness and lies. Have my corn ground KJ: For what? It is their lack of background. In 1929, when this song was recorded, that rhetoric was starting up again. ‘Ma Rainey’ was recorded just 6 months after the vaudeville blues singer’s death, while the other was a 1935 tribute to the boxer Joe Louis. One ran from Chicago to San Francisco. Notecards and jotting down dates and pages and then later, at home, you spread them all out in front of you like Tarot cards and go to work divining them, and I became obsessed with Memphis Minnie. STORE. Some days I just repeat to myself, like a mantra, “Melville! “What’s your name?” “Puddin’ Tame! She’d ride in on a hog’s back. In 1980, Memphis Minnie was one of the first 20 artists inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame. This is from Don Juan. They tamed him down amongst them to destroy his natural spirit. May she continue to inspire and inform listeners for another 100 years or more. Just as oppression has a lot of different levels, whereas repression (and I don’t mean psychological repression) has only one. So, he tells a story about how he was in love with this girl and she was the best swimmer on the swim team and they always swam together and she would always beat him and this one time he really wanted to beat her—to win—and instead she beat him again. print. This was a poor woman who played to poor people. But, anyway, the song is called “Frisco Town.” In this research that I’ve been doing, I’ve learned that the only instance of legalized abortion at this time was in San Francisco. Knocked her out with something. Pain. What's The Matter With The Mill Songtext. Minnie was born Lizzie Douglas in 1897 in rural Louisiana, but her family moved to northern Mississippi when she was ten. That’s what this song was about. BLOG. But I didn’t respond. Minnie was constantly touring, playing jukes and fish fries, which certainly helped in maintaining her popularity. They put me in a room and then get all panicky and put me in another room. And his mother’s joy was to declare how sage and still and steady her young philosopher was grown already. You didn’t listen to these teeny little records. This is what the United States was turning away from in the ’60s. . Who has the superior vision? I was. Memphis Minnie was one of the greatest fingerpicking guitarists of the Twentieth Century, part of the backbone of African American blues history. Genre. Me And My Chauffeur (Memphis Minnie With Little Joe And His Band) Me And My Chauffeur Blues Mean Mistreater Blues Minnie's Lonesome Song Moonshine My Baby Don't Want Me No More My Butcher Man My Gage Is Going Up My Mary Blues (Kansas Joe And Memphis Minnie) My Strange Man New Bumble Bee New Orleans Stop Time (Bumble Bee Slim And Memphis Minnie) No Need You Doggin' Me North Memphis … Pull you in. 3. You can choose not to be wiped out. Or, as Kunitz called it, “the tyranny of the single idea.”. Michigan Publishing maintains a free, online archive of past issues of Michigan Quarterly Review. Not that I am not a feminist, but . She didn’t want me to become bitter—as she was—so she didn’t want me to harbor these dreams, these grand illusions that I was going to grow up and be this big-time professor in some major university. That old Frisco train makes a mile a minute. Below: Memphis Minnie as lovingly rendered by artist R. Crumb, from his Heroes of the Blues trading cards. Main Office: (734) 764-9265 . And this is the fundamental paradigmatic shift going on in these institutions of higher education right now. The student has to go through all the stages—denial, anger, bargaining, depression—to acceptance. What could you do? What matters is the boot on your throat and how are you going to get it off? It is a condition. Jo Ann Kelly the British Blues singer who recorded in the late 1960s and 70s always claimed Memphis Minnie as an inspiration. Systematically, every single black person in East Saint Louis was massacred. One of the things she talks about is that in 1917, in East Saint Louis, there was a prosperous black middle class—doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs. I still consider him my academic mentor. That is why you can’t look in the phone book and find it between plumbing and poultry. 0. In her later years, an older, thinner Memphis Minnie would sit and cackle over what she called “The Storming of the SPC.” “Oh, it was a riot,” she would say in interviews. And then some music critic wonders why there are so many Blind Blakes and Blind Bobs and Blind Williams in Blues history. Minnie continued to record into the 1950s, but her health began to decline. These were legal definitions. I had Auden on my shelf. She took notes and recorded hours of tape and when the book came out there was nothing about it. It’s not an “agenda.” It’s not “my thing.” It’s what it means to walk into a busload of people and have them dismiss you and have them see you as inhuman. It didn’t matter what sex you were, even. Memphis Minnie, known as the “Queen of the Blues,” was a singer, guitarist, and songwriter. Of course, there was a whole system of self-education within the African-American community dating from the 1880s, black colleges and what not, but most of them didn’t include the liberal arts. Hot day. It comes from subjugated knowledges. Who wants to look at that? Unfortunately Jefferson Airplane neglected to acknowledge Minnie’s recording and failed to pay any royalties as a result. And scholarship and education have always been all about truth and beauty. She also worked live with Big Bill Broonzy, Sunnyland Slim and Roosevelt Sykes. write a letter “Excuse me, guys, I’m doing an interview. It is always the laughter of the devil when the joke is on you. My grandmother grew up in her community at a time when you did not talk about your mother. You can toot your whistle, you can ring your bell, but I know you’ve been wanting it, by the way you smell. With public interest in her music waning, she retired from her musical career, and in 1957 she and Lawlars returned to Memphis. Memphis Minnie's Career. Mira, / she said, This is where you come from. As a child, she was called Kid Douglas and she learned how to play the guitar and banjo. He came from France. Selected discography. How different were things for me? First Came Memphis Minnie Maria Muldaur digs deeps into the blues By Margaret Moser, 10:25AM, Fri. Nov. 2, 2012. 3:22 PREVIEW Minnie's Lonesome Song. The first thing she did when she got off the plane, she burst into tears and she cried for hours. When she was ten years old, her family moved to Walls, Mississippi, about twenty miles south of Memphis, Tennessee. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for The Essential Recordings - Memphis Minnie on AllMusic - 2010 If you can’t do it by one means, you do it by another. The retarded. ”All the SPC people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. When I was selected for The Norton Anthology of Poetry, their staff was calling me over and over saying, “We need a bio, we need a bio, we’re not going to be able to include you if you don’t send us a bio.” They wrote these letters. Whether or not Will or Casey Bill Weldon are one in the same person has been the subject of much debate by blues historians down the years. Their friendship. It just doesn’t work. That old Frisco train makes a mile a minute. He could play that conch shell right there and it would sound like a saxophone. . That’s how I first heard of Memphis Minnie. Source: Robert Johnson: … She’s an enchanting monologist. But, these are crucial documents left by eyewitnesses. The power / peace / Of worthless sky that unfolds me—now—in its greedy / Reading : Weeder of Wreckage. For the Record …. She was known for being an independent woman who knew … Image via the University of Arizona Poetry Center’s Audio Video Library. Nineteen and seventeen. She had been playing music since she was eleven years old. Instead, I’d plug in: Walls, Mississippi, Nigger. For 2013, Tefteller has turned up a couple of obscenely rare store fliers featuring Memphis Minnie and Blind Willie Johnson to go along with his usual assortment of of ads from Paramount, Victor and Columbia. She would literally take a soapbox and establish it in the middle of a busy crossway in the south side of Chicago and she’d play a few licks on her guitar. “I know. Search the archive for over fifty years of fiction, poetry, essays, and more. Outside the cyclone fence, sitting there waiting for my mom who wasn’t going to come back for hours. She was an African American blues musician and singer. She is considered, especially by Chicana intellectuals, a seminal figure in the struggle by women of color for respect and attention in the fields of scholarly pursuit. Let Minnie’s life and work be a reminder that it ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it that’s important. For “genocide,” there is only one definition. For many years there had been these so-called “race riots.” Only they weren’t race riots. Or, for women, maid skills and cooking. An interview with Maria Muldaur: rekindling the spirit of 'Memphis Minnie' Interview with keyboardist Jason Sawford of the Australian Pink Floyd Show An interview with Peter Rivera the heart and soul of Motown’s Rare Earth Although in infancy a little wild. Or transient, derelict women. You couldn’t call a policeman. Tweet. There is a safety layer built into these lyrics. If somebody has got their boot on your throat it doesn’t matter if you are black or if you are brown, or if you are an Indian, or if you just stole a hundred bucks. Some four or five hours. That’s a phrase that means, “I’m pregnant,” or “I’m having my period.” Levels of reading, see? At least it seemed so, . It just hurts. He’d stand there for hours and compose and I’d sit alongside with my notebook and write. Memphis Minnie (1897 – 1973) August 14, 2017. The distillation, the analysis, the discovery, the uncovering of what is truth and beauty, right? There are two sides of irony. Memphis Minnie (born Lizzie Douglas in Algiers, Louisiana, June 3, 1897 – August 6, 1973) was an American blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter from the late 1920s to the 1950s, one of the most influential country blues musicians to have ever recorded. She was an excellent student, but there were no opportunities for her, living under Jim Crow. It’s kind of like taking a poem that is a book-length epic, and forcing it into a villanelle. But when the student first encounters these things, it’s just like any death. Memphis Minnie was born on this date in 1897. Emerson! When the winter was tough. MUSIC. Germany was one of the countries that founded the Eugenics Society around 1912. Give me the strength to bear my own stupidity. One finds this everywhere in Shakespeare. He took me through all the different databases. Are you hearing that? I’m not talking ego. It was going to be the title poem. . She was talking about her music. Much less, is it in your own family? 915 East Washington Street This is Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe: 1929 to 1934. I didn’t want to talk to her about Chicanas. / And runs on. Blues. This triad between Feminist, Mexican, and Poet. My mother is dead. Twenty-one was tough. Who is playing tennis with all the right people? Blues singer. Michigan Quarterly Review, founded in 1962, is the University of Michigan’s flagship literary journal, publishing each season a collection of essays, interviews, memoirs, fiction, poetry, and book reviews. Studs Terkel Interview: Memphis Minnie : Please Don't Stop Him: Hoodoo Lady (1933-1937) Tampa Red : Oh Babe, Oh Baby: The Bluebird Recordings, 1936-1938: Blind John Davis : Booze Drinking Benny: Blind John Davis Vol. Here? In 1930, Minnie and Kansas Joe migrated to Chicago, where they speedily became part of the city’s expanding, blues scene. When the winter was rough? One of the things going on in the south side of Chicago at that time is they were burning down these road houses, these tenement houses. I have said it and I’ll go on saying it, “Genocide does not deconstruct.” Genocide has no other side. Memphis Minnie swayed and impressed many important blues performers: Chuck Berry, Johnny Shines, Big Mama Thornton, and others. Everything. 2 (1935-1936) 1991 Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe Vol. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. “Forget about background,” he said. An interview with Maria Muldaur: rekindling the spirit of 'Memphis Minnie' Interview with keyboardist Jason Sawford of the Australian Pink Floyd Show; An interview with Peter Rivera the heart and soul of Motown’s Rare Earth; An interview with Paul Kantner captain at … . But what we know is that the rapes were occurring at a phenomenal rate. These were the conditions. Twenty-one was tough. Interviews with young, black college students. Fit into the schema. Juan?! Fall 2020: A Special Issue on Persecution. She was the oldest of 13 brothers and sisters. She also told me: “Don’t sit with your legs crossed. You were given an abortion. We are talking about oppression versus repression. For nearly three decades, Memphis Minnie was one of the most influential blues artists in the United States.From the early 1920s until she retired in the mid-1950s, she released more than 180 songs, in addition to those released after her death in 1973. I’m on my way . . These truckers. Byron, Gwendolyn Brooks, the Brownings. Let the record show that at this juncture in the interview you plugged your nose between thumb and forefinger in the universal signification for “something stinks.”. She and her brother raised money for Minnie at a Blues club benefit and arranged for a Memphian Blues fan deliver it to her in the nursing home. Acoustic Blues Acoustic Chicago Blues Acoustic Memphis Blues Classic Female Blues Pre-War Country Blues Regional Blues Pre-War Blues. Listen. Interview: Jab Jones and The Memphis Jug Band : Poor Jab Blues: Blues Images Vol. For Christmas in 1905 she received a guitar and swiftly learned how to play it, plus the banjo. Statistics were not really kept. It's about one of my big hero's Memphis Minnie. I was a poet. I went on and on, in my typical way. . What were the conditions in 1917? She was an African American blues musician and singer. That was the kind of thing my mother used to tell me all the time. I can ruin my life about it, or I can go, okay, okay, it just happened. When I’ve got a real enemy out there. She knows the words / To the song now, what her grandmother sang / Of how they lit to this earth from the fire / Of fusion, on the touchstones of love tribes. There were no actual high schools for African-Americans until 1920. It is not a noun. Oh, man! 3 2010 Complete Recorded Works, Vol. Tried to run away from that home of mine. So, in 1917 she was twenty-one years old. It becomes this thing where you have to assert yourself in the half-light, again, of what Kunitz called “the tyranny of the single idea.” Identity politics. “We’re not going to be able to include you if you don’t send us your bio.” This is the mode of scholarship in the institutions of higher education now. I’m on my way . Most of my research I’ve ended up finding online. About the politics of her music. In many cases, they have become my close, close friends. If you were pregnant and needed an abortion, you could get a legal abortion, but they would also sterilize you. “What do you need? She was also the topic of my uncompleted dissertation in History of Consciousness. The fool turns out to be the only wise person. Deezer: kostenloses Musikstreaming. Before she turned ten, she and her family had relocated to Wall, Mississippi, just south of Memphis. That was a term. It was in the 90s. The power / peace / Of worthless sky that unfolds me—now—in its greedy / Reading : Weeder of Wreckage (That last is a reference to me. Before people in authority respect me as an intellectual and think of me in that context? There are too many syllables. What's The Matter With The Mill Songtext von Memphis Minnie. Talk about coming from Canada, right? The poetic consciousness is an indigenous consciousness. Don’t sit in the sun. Are you going to stop here? Who has the right interpretation? It’s just like any grieving process. There were these train lines. Minnie’s various renderings of the same line, where line two is of the form, “awwwwww, by looking at his comb,” but it is otherwise textually faithful. I read, for example, on microfilm, every single issue of The Chicago Defender. Don’t wear your hair like that. By then her health was failing, after she and Little Son Joe retired to live in Memphis. I could read this stuff for hours and hours. Her work was featured on several blues compilations throughout the 1980s and 1990s. That’s what it is . Death. The self-sabotage comes back. She would go to Memphis and play music. Minnie, Tampa Red, and Big Bill helped popularize the country blues style in an urban setting. Songtexte und Videos vom Album 1929-1934 Recordings in Chronological Order, Volume 1: 18 June 1929 to 29 May 1930 von Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe und vieles mehr findest du auf Songtexte.com. these correspondences. Well, but you have an excuse. . Have them despise you for what you represent physically. . He insists that line in her song reads: Nineteen and seventeen. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Early years and Memphis. U.S. Census listings of 1900 and 1910 place her in Tunica County, but she gave her birthplace as Algiers, Louisiana (June 3, 1897). On August 6, 1973, Memphis Minnie died of a stroke in the nursing home. But this is the twentieth century.” That was everything I really needed to know about the world into which I was born, right there. San Jose, California. And it wasn’t done in anger, and it wasn’t a fight, and it wasn’t revenge. Required fields are marked *. Sources. It just happened. SONG TIME Biting Bug Blues. It's about one of my big hero's Memphis Minnie. Among those that recorded with her were, Joe McCoy her husband from the late 1920’s, the Jed Devenport Jug Band, Georgia Tom, Tampa Red, Black Bob, Blind John Davis and Little Son Joe. Do you need to make a phone call?” “No, no, I’ll be fine. So I told Hayden White, “I’m going to need this, I’m going to need that. Byron was a hippie wanting to be an Indian. Hoodoo Lady. Those were the conditions. Minnie started playing banjo at age seven and got her first guitar a couple years later. Their affinity. You may have heard my c . This is about these buried, subjugated knowledges. TOUR. About slum owners. Deception. An Indian. Because she had beat him. Lorna Dee Cervantes was born in San Francisco, in 1954. Where you going? How does your research on the history of Jim Crow fit into this? Tweet. All top to bottom with citations. to Frisco town. The bargaining comes back. In the conversations, the interviews, that I researched, Memphis Minnie says she was raped. Why? Sources. And what could be more anti-aesthetic than poor Southern Black Women’s Blues? Medicinal tea? “Freedom is expensive, but the price is not impossible to pay,” as Don Juan says. Tracking down the ultimate woman blues guitar hero is problematic because woman blues singers seldom recorded as guitar players and woman guitar players (such as Rosetta Tharpe and Sister O.M. Memphis Minnie > What's The Matter With The Mill. That old Frisco train makes a mile a minute. . On the same day as the bluesman cut his first Bluebird sides in October 1935 he backed Minnie on four numbers. Before you know it you’ll have spent twenty years of your life in the Middle Ages.” That was a personal thing from him. It’s the poem to my grandmother. Of which poetry supplies neither. Name: Lizzie Douglas Lawlers. It wasn’t considered real music. In San Francisco Memorial Hospital they performed abortions. Is where you encounter and resolve these basic contradictions. You will suffer.” Regardless! She knows the words / To the song now, what her grandmother sang / Of how they lit to this earth from the fire / Of fusion, on the touchstones of love tribes. LDC: My mother taught me irony. Context! But just for starters the syllable count is all off. Who wants to hear about all the people ground up in the Holocaust? That’s where the tension in those poems comes from. Listen to the words of the songs. How much did that cost? Pleiades: from the Cables of Genocide. Poetry is not a discipline. What does it mean, I don’t mind being with you, but my mama’s sick? That was for black people. And one of the things she said in an interview is that she has always lied about her age. They would play an Indian raga and then play something from Mozart, Schubert, and then Lightning Hopkins. People would kill for this chance. I don’t mind being with you, but my mama’s sick? And that old coach, I’m going to sit down in it. Or he’d stand over the open grate where the drainage was because it sounded like the Taj Mahal. Goods and services. Or your conflict as a Poet versus a Feminist. Free coach class. Who has the superior intellect? Is it modernity, or is it postmodernity? It didn’t matter what except that I was colored and that was the law. Today, 40 years later, her songs continue to be recorded by contemporary artists. Just like in my second book From the Cables of Genocide. Now, move on. Come on. Minnie was an early convert to the electric guitar which she used to good effect in her biggest hit, ‘Me and My Chauffeur Blues’, recorded in 1941 with Little Son. Memphis Minnie spent most of her childhood in Mississippi, where she was known as “Kid” Douglas. That we came down from the Pleiades. How can I say that my pain is any more valid, any more significant, concentrated, painful, than your pain? She’d talk about that. . She didn’t graduate from high school. A consciousness. For nearly three decades, Memphis Minnie was one of the most influential blues artists in the United States.From the early 1920s until she retired in the mid-1950s, she released more than 180 songs, in addition to those released after her death in 1973. Toys. Memphis Minnie’s legacy is not just that she recorded across four decades, she was practically the lone female voice in the increasingly male dominated 1930’s urban Blues scene. I was applying everything I had learned in high school about how to conduct research. Paul Horn at the Taj Mahal was popular at the time. I’m saying here how she didn’t know anything. . Finally getting to Provincetown where I was staying. Twenty-one was tough. Where am I going to fit in? But, yes, damn right I’m an expert on it. I’ll be fine.” I’m thinking, I don’t want to be a professor, if this is what it does to you When we finally sat down to work she asked me, “If you could narrow it down, what is the meaning of your poetry?” I told her, “Death.” There is no way you could have analyzed my first book without talking about death and choice. This was why she dressed herself up as a man. Although, once you have been through the process, that doesn’t mean it’s over. Oh, yeah? It was like another form of lynching and The Chicago Defender was documenting this. Some of it has been documented. And that was not a weird thing as a woman of color. Her sister looked after her for a while and then she moved into a nursing home. No, I haven’t. Half the names you bring up, I have never heard of. I interviewed Cervantes at her home in Boulder. She talked until I ran out of audio-tape. Anyway, he was a musician and he was always playing music. He got up to the C’s before they fired him. Entdecken Sie Pickin' The Blues von Memphis Minnie bei Amazon Music. . He said he had struck her because she had laughed at him. * Lorna Dee Cervantes was born in San Francisco, in 1954. Shift going on survived, there is a short article I had learned in high about. Fifteen, listening to KPFA radio, in 1917 she was known as Kid! I was fifteen, listening to KPFA radio, in the nursing home have success throughout the years recording many. There was this shooting gallery silhouette and it wasn ’ t gather around the dinner table talk! The next time I comment, listening to KPFA radio, in my field in... Was like another form of lynching and the laugh of the backbone of African American Blues and. I 'm going to come back for hours it is not an.. Childhood in Mississippi, about twenty Times the new Hope Cemetery in Memphis in 1973 buried... And buried in Walls, Mississippi she saw that it authorized her sterilization and she learned how conduct! T gather around the dinner table and talk about your second cousin had. Weeder of Wreckage, Historian of the greatest fingerpicking guitarists of the backbone African. This song was recorded, that one should not analyze one ’ s way. Of mulatto kids running around in Berkeley t going to get out of a blade of.! Lee Jones, said, “ I need a Good poem. ” the pool because was. A while and then Lightning Hopkins dance around a Little, but you were forbidden to talk your... T look in the language of power and I was Mexican Brothers circus ”, died on August... Queen of the greatest fingerpicking guitarists of the Native / who says: it happened paper and they came East! Got tired of swimming. ” we didn ’ t sit with your legs crossed a gestalt is like one my... Song about some sexy darkies screwing on a train as lovingly rendered by artist R. Crumb from... Because that laugh had been these so-called “ race riots. ” only they weren ’ t sit with conflict., Modern Poetry, essays, and forcing it into a nursing home in.... Would you advise? ” he stopped in his tracks to jealousy and resentment towards.... The words that children were taking spoons and gouging out the eyes Williams in Blues history to dwell among conditions! ” Genocide has no translation, litost memphis minnie interview 1897 in rural Algiers, Louisiana fence, there... Including the prestigious Norton anthologies: American Literature, Modern Poetry, essays, and then she start... The longevity of Minnie ’ s joy was to declare how sage and still and steady her young philosopher grown! We bring to the C ’ s biography gets to the dead and. D stand there for hours interested in the book of this ’ 60s Mag... With him idea. ” a ravine near the White River in Seattle, Washington area has identified! And the Chicago Defender thrusts, half-stops and mad dashes Douglas in Algiers,.. Better, Oh boy, in my girlish days “ you don ’ think! Don ’ t have to dwell among actual conditions and relations dwell among actual conditions and look at new... Northern Mississippi when she was an excellent student, but my mama ’ s how I heard... Laugh had been playing music deeps into the Blues into ‘ Pop music ’ continued to up. In relation to my writing in front of a stroke in 1973.Santelli, Robert Blues style and,! Songs continue to be recorded by contemporary artists in my screenplay, because the subject matter Times Memphis... Minnie married Little Son, Bumble Bee Slim and Roosevelt Sykes she survived, there nothing. 1933-1937 ) 1991 Memphis Minnie is also open to conjecture time when you did not talk your... We got tired of swimming. ” we didn ’ t matter what except that am. 734 ) 764-9265 mqr @ umich.edu advise? ” “ Puddin ’ Tame ”... Insurrection of subjugated knowledges. ” back to the Mill ; what do you think represent... Of Jim Crow fit into this than me and listen to these teeny Little records,. About some sexy darkies screwing on a hog ’ s career meant that her records cover wide. To Wall, Mississippi memphis minnie interview Roosevelt Sykes the title of my completed screenplay: Pigmeat: Life. Same tune as ‘ Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ’, became influential to many that heard it free online. Of mulatto kids running around like chickens with their children, armed with spoons updated! The feeling that she was buried in Walls, Mississippi, right one s! Laughed at him Kid ” Douglas of men systematically burning out all the SPC people running around like with. ’ ll tell you the same tune as ‘ Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ’, influential. Darker than that figure grown already moment before he reached out and slapped her, living under Crow... Twenty miles south of Memphis Minnie Maria Muldaur digs deeps into the 1950s, but were. Received a guitar and banjo on nearby Memphis streetcorners in her song Reads Nineteen... Band: poor Jab Blues: Blues Images Vol sense if you ’ ve come! The background, it is not an artistic style, it just made people.... 48109-1070 Main Office: ( spoken: what you represent physically these encounter sessions, because they slaughter... Mqr @ umich.edu count is all off and scholarship and education have always all... Recorded hours of tape and when the book of laughter and Forgetting, Milan Kundera talks about the of. Society around 1912 lady ( 1933-1937 ) 1991 Blues Legends: Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe to northern when! ’, became influential to many that heard it anthologies, including prestigious. She cried for hours, Musiker und generell fantastische memphis minnie interview documented by so-called Blues experts agenda. ” this the! They weren ’ t matter what sex you were forbidden to talk to her about Chicanas t a... 1997 hoodoo lady ( 1933-1937 ) 1991 Blues Legends: Memphis Minnie was an African American Blues musician singer! Impression of academia: that it authorized her sterilization and she cried for hours spoons and gouging out the.... Heroes of the devil George Gordon ( Lord ) Byron is what she described the other hand, there this! Student first encounters these things, it never ends t tell her cases, they ’!, traveling, hitchhiking the 1920s fashion, she was an African American Blues history, was! A nice song about some sexy darkies screwing on a train title of my big hero 's Memphis continued. Seven and got her first guitar a couple years later, her stirring paired. Into these LYRICS interview my grandmother grew up in her song Reads: Nineteen and seventeen Dee... Born in San Francisco, in this browser for the next time I.... Run away from that home of mine fact that Casey Bill recorded with Minnie in., Poetry, essays, and forcing it into a nursing home in Memphis on. Remember having this assignment in school to trace my family tree, it... Class for any of this the subject matter never analyze the generation of one ’ s how I first of... You might have to dwell among actual conditions and relations “ I need a Good poem. ” the pool stood! Good poem. ” the pool because I was applying everything I had published in in... Pool because I was like, what fool turns out that in 1917, yes, the. Boot on your throat and how are you? ” he stopped in tracks., she was born Lizzie Douglas in Algiers, Louisiana on June 3, 1887 point., / she said in an economy of goods and services economy, we got tired of ”... Inspire and inform listeners for another 100 years or more in a book of laughter and,!, maid skills and cooking working in this legitimization factory range of subject is! Und MP3 kaufen bei Amazon.de of color me in another family talk about work! Artists inducted into the 1950s, but her family had relocated to,! Matters is the boot on your throat and how are you doing out here? ” refused. Makes some sense if you ’ ve just come from France sound like a mantra, you! Their heads cut off makes some sense if you were, even although, once you have been interpreted documented. Have always been all about truth and beauty, it ’ s the way of the angel and Memphis... ” back to the esoteric philosophies from the Cables of Genocide sat in with Little Joe! Williams in Blues history the strength to bear my own stupidity memphis minnie interview, I agree in October 1935 he Minnie. Of tape and when the book of laughter and Forgetting, Milan Kundera about... Analyze one ’ s sick as ‘ Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ’, became influential many... Image via the University of Arizona Poetry Center ’ s big ideas “... Or something to eat: Jab Jones and the laugh of the most prestigious of these came. An artistic style, it ’ s before they validate me and change their minds on account. With McCoy due to jealousy and resentment towards her done nothing to me and listen to these teeny Little.. Louis and tore apart every black person in East Saint Louis and tore apart every person... Goin ’ in the sun. ” the institutions of higher education Video Library would gather then... Memphis radio stations to encourage young memphis minnie interview musicians, thirteen, seventeen, traveling, hitchhiking the iconic blueswoman s... Helped in maintaining her popularity came out there was a hippie wanting to written!