These plans are very user friendly which helps in making each woodworking project enjoyable and simple. Either way, I hope to start publishing more instructables, all to do with knives, since I'm a knut (Knife+Nut). Backspacer- A chunk of material located near the end of the handle (opposite the blade). It helps you cut the designs for the blade, which is the critical part of the knife. Check out the other instructable if you need help. Now you should have the handles, roughly shaped (or finished, it doesn't really matter), with at least two holes, the stop pin hole, and the pivot hole. Many people mistakenly believe I made them automatic. In the picture below, these are the two silver ones located near the blade, and the two brass ones towards the end. tactical folding knife and the pattern for this project. The position of the knife needs to be such that the strong hand can grasp it with minimal movement. With the handle in the right hand, push the file towards the base, or tip of the blade. We offer a variety of knives ranging from bushcraft knives to choppers. After reaching the pin, fold the blade until the handle and later try to tweak the design as required. Required fields are marked *. Then drill the next hole, and then put in another pin. The point labeled B is where the blade contacts the stop pin. There are also knife enthusiasts who would have a collection of different knives. In such a scenario, a cleaning of the blade is required. It's hard to explain, but check out the first picture. -Detent Ball (I use 1/16" diameter) Follow your local laws at all times! Rather than repeatedly flicking your knife open and closed, which can cause damage to lock arm (and void your warranty ), follow the steps below to break in your knife. Some alloys can be hardened by heat but they eventually anneal after the treatment. File the blade, and leave around 1/16" of thickness on the edge of your knife. And it safeguards other items in my pocket that can be damaged by the knife. This idea came because on one of my knives, I tested the lock by smacking the blade with a hammer. Push the blade in on top of the pivot pin. A link can be found here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Knife-Making/  This instructable is intended to be able to be read by those who are not familiar with knives, but I may use some unfamiliar terms by accident. Benefits Of How Do You Make a Folding Knife. Reply with work hardening alloys what is usually used is rolled stock that has already been rolled to the proper hardness, and you work it hardened. # Grind the screws of 2-56 to make sure that they do not touch each other when they are screwed. You must put the rod at the end of the titanium lock and start to weld the carbide coating on the titanium to give a smooth finish. That way, there will only be one initial resistance when closing the blade due to the detent. Just somehow, get the design cut out. -Backspacer Material (thickness must equal your blade's thickness+washers Using a ball peen hammer, smush all the pins in. It's probably not perfect, and in fact, the arc may be prevented due to extra material on the blade. Again, drill and ream up to 1/8 inches of stop pin. So wherever the blade touches the handle (the two stop pin contacts- opened and closed, and the lock), leave a bit of extra space- say 1 or 2 mm. I've posted an instructable about making a fixed blade knife. -Drill+Drill guide/Drill Press I own two Buck 110 autos. It protects the knife from debris. Two liners sawn from the titanium sheet above. It'll be useful to read that first, because in this instructable, I will not go over those steps again, but merely focus upon the nuances involved with creating a folding knife. I was merely just adding my 2 cents. In order to give the hacksaw blade space to fit, I drilled a series of holes right next to each other, and then opened it up with a file. Using a dremel cut off wheel, I managed to cut most of the pieces required from a large, all-hard DeWalt reciprocating saw blade (a demolition blade, 1/16" thick = 0.062"). For a general idea of what goes into knifemaking this book is about average for the "let's write a book for our fans who aspire to make their own" book. holes were difficult for me. -Hacksaw (With metal cutting blades. Well, let me tell you one thing, we don’t need to be a professional to giving shape to a foldable knife from scratch. Now there are two … Drill holes to align it with the scales, and make sure you file it enough so there is a clearance for the blade when the knife is closed. Stop Pin- What keeps the blade from traveling too far when opened and closed. This can be done later after glueing and sanding but if ya cut accurately it doesn't really matter. on Introduction. And no wikipedia is a good place to start research but never to end it. I also make a groove about a 1/4" above and parallel to the slot. Make sure you use oil for ferrous alloys. Oil and wet and dry, your hands do get dirty, but it's worth it ;-). Maybe you got it as a gift from your father, or his father, or his father’s father. My favorite is the Norseman Cobalt bits from USAknifemaker.com. Basically, file out the edge. Drill the hole in the lock and blade up to 1/16 inches of the detent ball. They don't have a locking mechanism, the friction between the wood and the blade works like lock. If you want shinier you have to go higher, I find 600 is usually enough for a hand finish, if you use precious metals then you have to go to 3000 for that mirror polish. 7 years ago First, heat treat the blade. I drew inspiration from the so-called taramundi knifes, fomous in Spain. Based on the way you would like to tune the folder, you can use the drill bit up to 0.054 to 0.055 inches. Also, when drilling for the handles, it helps to make the titanium piece first, and then use that as a template for the handle scales. However, make sure that the design of the blade must be in sync with the liner so that you can fold the blade and it should fit smoothly within the liners or the handle of the folding knife. i said all this both from experience and literature, i'm fairly good at metallurgy , specially of ferrous alloys. Lay the knife out on your piece of cardboard and roughly trace around the blade and as much of the handle as you want to cover with your sheath. Take the titanium liner, and push the two pins. This is okay, just know the center is directly between these two lines. I usually have a certain pattern depending on how much steel I need to remove. I suggest using inkscape for the drawings, although if your hands are good, drawing works as well. Let's Make a Folding Knife! Mark where the blade tang is. Next, open the blade, draw a line using the knife, and the back of the liner’s tang. The process of making a knife, the forging of steel, and the honing down of the blade is an ancient skill most of us would like to possess. You can use an existing knife and trace it onto the cardboard, or you can design your own. Use a file to finish the blade. And it safeguards other items in my pocket that can be damaged by the knife. Clamp the saw blade tightly to the table using the vise or c-clamp. For me, I make knives as a hobby, and it takes me around 30 hours per knife. Share it with us! I was successful in concept, but not in the materials I chose. The pattern is not symmetrical, as the back of the sheath has an extension that ultimately will be folded down and stitched in place to make a loop through which your belt will be threaded. Too much, and the lock will slip when any force is applied. On this folding knife, the flat ends of the scales fit against these raised metal bolsters here. Now there are two … This is why it is so important to have the lock area be flat. Check out out short how to video on micarta to see exactly how its made. Make a pivot hole with the help of the dowel pin of ½* 1/16 inches so that these two plates do not move. -2 Phosphor Bronze washers (Your choice of thickness, I use 1/32" I believe.) The smaller size would take less time since there is less steel to grind, and the first knife would probably not be perfect. And here we go-. As the blade wears in, more of the liner lock will contact. If the knife is halfway opened the “round end” of the blade depresses the spring. You make it by sewing together two pieces of vegetable tanned leather. If you don’t have some of the tools that I’m using, be creative. Feed the fire with tinder, and add kindling once the flame has caught. A full-tang knife blade includes a metal blade and a bare metal handle. water is considered a 'harsh' quenching media, that's why it's not recommended. How you do it is up to you. How to make a folding knife: A folding knife is a tool that is carried by many in their pockets. Basically, I compact the lock, and then "heat treat" it. The lock can be released to close the knife by depressing the spring-loaded lever on the top edge of the handle. You will file at a slant, so that the knife shape is there. It's time for fitting. You can use 3/8 inches of the four-fluted mill. The line must be 3-inches long using the marker. Otherwise, when closing, there will be a series of bumps as the detent is pushed out by the blade, then comes back in, and is pushed out again. Hint: This is around the thickness of a dime. It's not necessary, since the lock bar will wear in and match the angle eventually, but having it pre-matched can save the lock bar from wearing in and losing life. I don’t have any special equipment such as milling machines or surface grinders, so the knife in this tutorial should be able to be made in any standard knife shop. By now, you might have understood the process of making a folding knife, which takes efforts, but is worth it. on Introduction, HOW DID YOU GET THE IDEA TO PUT THE KNIFE ON THE ROSES FOR THE PICTURE. Picture 1(Open blade): Point A is where the stop pin meets the blade. If Wikipedia is to be believed, "Water is one of the most efficient quenching media where maximum hardness is acquired," Apparently the Japanese tend to use water the most to quench Samurai swords too. You want to bend it so that if the knife were assembled, the lock is being pushed towards the center. It’s my first try with a Buck knife. The knife held, but to my surprise, the lock bar had compacted, and thus wore so quickly the blade developed lock rock (where the blade can move a little bit when it's locked.) 3. I find it rewarding, but each to his own. I had more trouble with this than I should. If you have the time to watch it. When you use the shouldered stand-off, it will not let the blade to move unnecessarily. The whole idea of the folding knife is that the blade is folded into the grip. Tools: in fact, where maximum hardness is required, such as gages and standards one would use oil followed by sub zero quenching, not water. When removing metal, this line must be kept straight for your lock. Do it slow. I'm no expert so for exact hardening processes I would do some research yourself. You can drill a hole, and use a jeweler's saw, or use a cut off disk, or a band saw. I usually do the 1084 by myself (other instructable), but for the more complicated heat treats, I send it off to Texas Knifemaker to heat treat it. Carrying a folding knife inside the waistband is typically effective for added retention. Simple. A liner lock works because a spring in the side of the handle (usually titanium) is in the path of the blade and keeps the blade open until the spring is pushed over to the side. After this, de-burr and assemble it again. 3. Here is the step by step procedure you must follow to make a folding knife. If you are just starting, I would try a small simple knife. The typical causes are: Rust or aging, goop stuck on the knife, friction and tight hinges. So you have a folding knife. Your email address will not be published. Unfortunately, I get caught up with the work sometimes, and forget to take pictures. Two liners sawn from the titanium sheet above. Trust me it will put your work into a higher class ;-). If the knife is halfway opened the “round end” of the blade depresses the spring. I don’t have any special equipment such as milling machines or surface grinders, so the knife in this tutorial should be able to be made in any standard knife shop. Send me a note at: Due to the washers, the blade does not get "jammed" on the detent, since the washers provide extra space for the detent to come out. There is a lot of good information there but not necessarily written by experts. A good lock is a vital feature on any folding knife; every quality manufacturer makes a good one. However, other places will work as well, and in fact, Emerson knives drills out a separate lock for their detent ball. There are three "make a knife" sections to this book. 1. EDIT: thinkpadt30 has brought to my attention that the first picture is too dark. We may earn an affiliate commission for a qualified purchase. Oct 3, 2015 - Explore Scott K's board "Knife sheath pattern", followed by 136 people on Pinterest. It can be made from paper or material. If one is right handed, when the knife is cutting edge up, the liner lock would be built into the left side, and will spring towards the right. -> The lock must be bent to the folders mid and grind the tang in 7 degrees using disc grinder. If the detent ball were higher than the washer, than there would be no space for the blade to open, and the lock to move away. Lay the knife out on your piece of cardboard and roughly trace around the blade and as much of the handle as you want to cover with your sheath. Maybe it’s a really old and rusty blade that has an extremely hard time opening. The next big thing to do is to remove the pivot pin for drilling up to 3/16 inches. 3. Turn the plate to the other side to drill the other titanium plate neatly. EDIPretty much the most critical step. You want to cut the lockbar out with around 1mm overlap with the blade. 7 years ago In such a scenario, a cleaning of the blade is required. You do a lot of hand work, so this may be right up your alley. Whether you want to make your own pocket knife or looking for a personalised gift, Perkin Knives is your one-stop shop for buying premium quality handmade custom knives. If you don’t have some of the tools that I’m using, be creative. that being said antique bronze swords all have hammered edges to increase hardness. We offer a variety of knives ranging from bushcraft knives to choppers. Do not drill until the top of the plate. However, the price is decently cheap, and not counting the tools, only costs me around $25 per knife. Because of the relatively small radius of the pivot to stop pin compared to the pivot to tip of the blade, a small change can make a big difference! The knife was working fine, but after I re-assembled it, it was difficult to repair. The lock can be released to close the knife by depressing the spring-loaded lever on the top edge of the handle. ** The space that is left between the washer and the blade must be equal. Today I'm going to make this folding knife using recycled materials, which will be useful in my workshop. Each of these is explored in the methods below, providing a solution for you to try. Nice instrucable by the way. -Good Drill Bits (I used 1/8" and #53) There are many different methods that can be used to design a folding knife, some complicated, some simple, and they all work fine. By bottom, I mean the area closes to where your fingers would touch. See more ideas about knife sheath, leather working, leather projects. You can work harden Titanium. Making a folding knife from a worn out saw blade and some scrap aluminum sheet. Ah, thank you for clarifying. Subsequently, put the blade at the bottom of the liner with the help of pivot and stop pins in the right place. I am a knife knut. This is just a little piece of material the same thickness as your blade+2 washers. There is custom made stand-off you can find in the online. It's purpose is just to be a pillar in the butt of the knife, and make sure the handles don't collapse. On these pages you will learn a simple method for designing a liner lock folding knife. The orange line represents the parts of the blade that will contact the stop pin when the blade is closing. Next, you should lock the table and remove the 3/16 inches at the end and keep it in the 3/8 inches with the help of a dial indicator. 6. However, I do it anyways, just in case there's a benefit. Or ask me in the comments. Now it is time for you to prepare a lock for the folding knife to avoid it to open and harm anyone accidentally. Well, adjusting the sharp body with a proper handle is a crucial part of making a foldable knife and is considered as the toughest part also. We just need to be sure about the steps to be followed sequentially. The top area raises the blade when the knife is opened. I have been playing with a design for a pocket knife in SketchUp, an all metal folding lock-back with a 3-1/4″ blade. I use drawfiling. You can make the lock by twisting the titanium liner to ensure that it moves flexibility with the tang of the blade. Prepare a prototype of the folding knife on the paper and move the same onto the plastic. Also, cut out the handle slabs at this point. The best way to de-bur is to use the four-flute counter sink hand driller. Remove this with a thorough scraping using your rasp. So you have a folding knife. Your knife; your pattern! The holes can be opened for the stand-off to fix the 1/8 inches of reamer into it. * The washer is placed to ensure that the washers and blade would be of the same thickness alike to that of stand-offs. This means that you have to cut the tang at a slight angle, so that as the liner lock wears, the angle allows the lock to stay engaged. A knife can be built using only a blade, handle blanks and pins, as well as a few hand tools. # The flipper would comprise of internal stop pin. Titanium is not usually used in the manufacture of knives so little data is available on the topic.http://www.ehow.com/about_4705418_titanium-knives.html. You can place the 3/16 inches at the end of the mill into the hole that is on the plate. The light green verticle line is your lock. Like any other piece of outdoorsy gear, a pocket knife can get bent, chipped, rusty, or just plain worn-out. This step is just to familiarize those who do not know, and also give an overview of what we will be making. Power tools, however, make the chore much easier and quicker. Today I'm going to make this folding knife using recycled materials, which will be useful in my workshop. Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any injuries(likely) or deaths(unlikely) that may occur as a result of your attempt to follow this instructable, nor am I responsible for what you do with the information you have obtained from this instructable, nor what you do with the knife you have made. Make your stitching groove. I'm going to reference the pictures from here because I think it's easier. Whenever you drill the hole, you need to take the titanium plates away for de-burring. Making a folding knife from a worn out saw blade and some scrap aluminum sheet. Other sites include Texasknife.com, knifekits.com, alphaknifesupply.com and more. Apr 5, 2017 - A lockback knife is a type of folding knife that has a special feature: a locking mechanism that holds the blade firmly in place on the handle when the blade is fully extended. When adjusting this bit, make sure that the blade will not touch the backspacer, nor stick out of the handle. Start by cutting out the long line, parallel with the open blade. You didn't have the right polishing compound? 4. You usually have to push to around 5 inches, but start small. The knife was working fine, but after I re-assembled it, it was difficult to repair. Then flip the blade over, and do the same. Lock- what keeps the blade open (in this case, the titanium spring) Discerning what damage has occurred to the edge is a revealing first step. All of the materials can be purchased from USAknifemakers.com. Never heard of using oils, but I'll give it a try! I would stick to using you hammer to work hardening it. tactical folding knife and the pattern for this project. 7. Begin at the centerline approximately ⅛” … If the hole is drilled so that the entire ball sits in the hole, there's going to be a little wiggle in the blade because the ball isn't pressing. and on precision parts i'd go oil with no question, ruining hours of work in seconds feels really bad. This will prevent the blade from closing too far. The blade must be around 1/4 th shorter than the length of the frame. I own two Buck 110 autos. I was successful in concept, but not in the materials I chose. Make sure to leave extra space around your lock and stop pin areas on the blade. * The tang end should be coated with carbide. Use a French curve to make sure your curves are consistent and more importantly, pretty. If you want to harden the metal you need to cool it quickly after heating it. So is compacting the lock with a hammer the best way to work harden? You want to drill the hole so that the ball is just barely in the hole, so that it tries to move more in the hole, and thus, will keep the blade pushing against the stop pin. Did you make this project? It's fitted when the lock can engage the blade and keep it open. So in this video, I attempt to make a conversion: folding knife to automatic. 2. Don't lose everything because you want to save a few minutes. With the drill or drill press, make holes along the outline you traced. Now for the blade. Now, all you want to do is just file the tang down until the lock bar fits. # It is required for you to use the band saw to cut the face properly for the lock. Now comes the moment of truth. Sorry for the bad explanations, I'm going to let the pictures finish. I'm sure hardening and tempering processes are much different. He begins by printing a template and gluing it onto a circular saw blade, … Picture 2: This is the blade closed. When you plan to make a folding knife, you must get the required raw materials to do it from the shop or the online store. This way it ensures a perfectly flat grind. I use Lansky) Get some wet & dry, 80 to 400 grit should do it for a nice satin finish. Feel free to skip this step if you know what a liner lock knife is. The authors - Lake, Centofante, and Clay are each well respected knifemakers. For a general idea of what goes into knifemaking this book is about average for the "let's write a book for our fans who aspire to make their own" book. Push it out 1 inch, then 2, and so on. You want the angle of the tang to be around 8 degrees. 5. Scratch a line into the edge by putting the blade and the drill bit on a flat surface, and drawing the blade towards you, against the drill bit. 5 years ago A good liner lock knife though, is harder. If you let it cool slowly the metal returns to it's original state. You can push it in with an extra piece of metal, or use pliers. When closed, a detent built into the lock holds the blade closed. The height of the ball bearing must be equal to the washer thickness. You should make a tut on how you use inkscape for knife designing. Or one can use pre-manufactured pivots and stop pins) (I used 1/8")  on Introduction. About: Please visit my blog for more EDC and knife related things! I find it a very nice hobby with the reward of a new knife, custom made to suit my hand, that will fulfill my exact purpose, and costs less than $30 for something the market would charge a lot more for. Tony Bose, the man perhaps most responsible for the rebirth of the slip joint/pocketknife genre in today’s knives, BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall Of Fame® member, loving husband and father, and friends to scores in the knife industry, passed away Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020. The next thing you must do in making a folding knife is to prepare a folder. Now, you want to drill the depression just a bit in front of the end of the detent's track. I use a hacksaw with lansky blades. The detent rides on the lockbar, and when the blade is opened, is pushed out to the side. Sounds simple huh? Stack several dozen lumps of coal in a circle around the center of the forge's hearth. Carefully examine your knife. Few people want to take pride in making their knives. There will be 3 places to file. Make them roughly accurate. not really, as it would not be uniform. In order to make hardened steel less brittle you temper it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering But really it depends on the alloy what process is best to use. Re: How To Make A Folding Knife Well, I finally got a chance to start on my knife based on Richard's design! The lock bar must be bent, and you can do this by grinding in 0.020 inches of dent with ¾ inches of the wheel at the lock end. Wad up a few pages of newspaper and place them in the center, then set them on fire. In cases like this (or for reasons of your own), you might need to disassemble the knife … -Sharpie Because poor workmanship may cause more damage in future, So stay alert! Yes, I did this for my other instructable, where I was using 1084 steel. The folder and clamp must be closed. Three Interesting Folding Knife Designs Tony Sculimbrene 03.28.15 We are all pretty familiar with the standard folding knife–a blade, a handle, a pivot, and some way of opening the knife along with a way to lock or hold the knife in the open position. Thus, the detent ball can only be as tall as the phosphor washer. Use a French curve to make sure your curves are consistent and more importantly, pretty. This will help to define the edge and complete the knife. -Expo Marker There are also knife enthusiasts who would have a collection of different knives. From the pictures, you can see that the most typical area for the detent ball is at the top left of the lock. These liners have already been profiled with the belt sander. What can be simpler! Other than that, the blade should be looking good. You make it by sewing together two pieces of vegetable tanned leather. The last area is in between these two stop pins. Put the knife on the circular saw and trace the outline of the blade. However not so much with heat treating it. Jan 14, 2018 - Today I'm going to make this folding knife using olive wood, steel pipe and an old saw blade. ویدیو بعدی How to make a paper knuckle knife - Easy paper knife Tutorials از کانال دنیای ساختنی ها Another location for positioning a concealed knife is outside the waistband, on the dominant side of the body. Let's Design a Liner Lock Folding Knife! Thankfully, today’s high-tech knives made from high-end stainless steels are typically insanely sharp right out of the box. It’s my first try with a Buck knife. CRKT CEO EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Low Profile Gentleman's Knife, Everyday Carry, Satin Blade, IKBS Ball Bearing Pivot, Liner Lock, Glass Reinforced Fiber Handle, Deep … With the How Do You Make a Folding Knife free woodworking plans package, you will get help to build all kinds of projects, be it furniture, sheds, beds or wind generators. A trick to find the center of your blade: Color the edge of the knife with a sharpie, and then take a drill bit the same diameter as the thickness of your metal. It is best always to have a folding knife in the pocket. Nothing too dainty here. There should only be one line, but if there are two, this means that there's a small difference between the size of the bit and the blade thickness. See more ideas about knife, folding knives, knife making. Make or obtain a full-tang knife blade. You must keep the tang of the blade and handle and then insert a needle in between these pieces till the pivot pin. Going too hard might flake the titanium. You know the lock has been bent enough when it rests a bit further out than the thickness of the blade. You must use the blade to cut in shape. Due to the slight size difference, the ball is now press fitted into the liner lock. Being too rushed would ruin the knife at this point. In my case, I had to use a hacksaw. The holes must be drilled on the titanium sheet up to 1/16 inches. We then used a sanding wheel on the same disc grinder to smooth and finish each piece. I am a knife knut. This should clarify the old hardening process. The lock, when made correctly, is very strong, and also allows for wear. Note the backspacer on the right side, with the two holes. With this done simply work the rasp over the edge, pushing the rasp in the direction the edge is facing, from the hilt toward the tip. However, make sure that the design of the blade must be in sync with the liner so that you can fold the blade and it should fit smoothly within the liners or the handle of the folding knife. Thus, I will be using several different models to demonstrate the steps. In this case, I’m designing my own shape based on an old knife used by folks from the fur trade. The handle (tang) part should be already … The depth of the chips taken out of the blade will indicate how much metal al… Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. They'll be put in and taken out quite a bit during these next few steps. Tightness or stiffness in a knife comes from several sources and each needs to be handled a slightly different way. Your knife; your pattern! In order to make a folding knife without any prior experience may be a time taking process but we want to remind you even if it takes time to be finished, let it take. DIY Knife Making: The Right Materials Michael is using a 1-1/2-by-7-1/2 inch piece of 1095 barstock. Make the holes as close together as you can without having them overlap. -Files (Round and flat) Consumers Arena is reader-supported. -Ball Peen Hammer Patience is the key. Making folders is mostly about drilling holes. There are many different methods that can be used to design a folding knife, some complicated, some simple, and they all work fine. Terms to know:  Make sure to leave extra space around your lock and stop pin areas on the blade. Affix the plate using the 1/16 inches of the dowel pin. Use a file to finish the blade. Now, try to open and close the blade. Start with a center punch, and drill through the knife. if you quench in water microfractures in the steel can develop into big cracks. 2. Place the knife on the prepared graph paper to the left of the centerline. If I do, please ask. Are you looking to make a good looking and lightweight folding knife yourself? I buy a lot of used pliers and do it to them. Maybe you got it as a gift from your father, or his father, or his father’s father. The fillers are available in a wide range of styles, but most often the shoulder ones are used. water will work for most work though and i have been using it with success for quite some time. The blade must be around 1/4 th shorter than the length of the frame. Take a small bit, which is just a hair smaller than the detent ball, and drill your hole in the liner lock. SketchUp is good for this, in that the parts can be rotated just like they would be in real life to check for clearance and alignment issues, but doesn’t tell the whole story. not very hard. The detent is a small ball that keeps the blade closed. This leaves a very smooth outside line and make the frame pieces the same size. They've been doing that for long enough that I think they may know what they're doing now. 5. If you use a 1/16" detent ball, a #53 drill bit is perfect. There are three ways to do this – manually, assisted or automatic. One advantage to inkscape is that when you rotate, you can set the pivot point to the actual pivot on the knife, thus allowing you to have some sort of a virtual model of your knife, and watch it swing open and closed. Location, Location, Location. Position it where you want it to be, then use the first scale as a guide again and drill through. The authors - Lake, Centofante, and Clay are each well respected knifemakers. Now, assemble the knife, with the washers. Dec 15, 2018 - Explore Desert Moon's board "Folding knife how to", followed by 581 people on Pinterest. Also, to help prevent lock rock, only the last 0.125" of the lock should contact the blade. Otherwise, if only the middle portion touches, than lock rock can develop. A burr is a thin strip of abraded metal which accumulates on the side of the blade opposite the one you’ve been grinding on. The blade was beveled on a small belt sander and then the folding knife was assembled with pins. These liners have already been profiled with the belt sander. From here you can make a handle from whatever material you wish. At this point, your blade of the knife, the cutting edge, needs to be finished perfectly. In a folding knife, the handle also houses the blade when the knife is closed, as well as all of the moving parts, hardware, and any other additions. also you're more prone to warping and inducing stresses in the material. This way, the drill bit will mark a line right down the center of your knife. Re: How To Make A Folding Knife Nice Job!Im'e just finding out how difficult it is to make a pocketknife.I just did my first complete rebuild-rehandle a few weeks ago,and am currently working on a semi scratch build(I have a box of unfinished but heat treated blades from Schrade)and i have a machine shop at my desposal so I know the challange you have doing everything by hand. 2. So you want to drill  the hole so that the slope of the ball is contacting the hole, and exerting pressure to keep the knife closed. -Titanium (Around 0.060" Thick, for the liner lock) At this point, your blade of the knife, the cutting edge, needs to be finished perfectly. Either way though, once you're done with your design, a prototype cut out of cardboard and a thumbtack is suggested. Drill out one plate of titanium with 1/16-inch holes. Coat the inside of the blade with a white board marker first. I'm going to try to get this instructable out first, since I can't find another instructable of this type, and then fill in with extra pictures. Push the coal around the fire to cook and eventually catch light. Use a pencil to trace the sharp side of the knife. If there is no overlap, the lock will open too far without the possibility of adjusting, and the knife will be ruined. For these next steps, please take your time. It takes a while with hardened steel, but it is the last step! ## The ball bearing of 1/16 inches should be put into the lock. Probably going to come out with a stonewashing one soon! In other words, by doing so, you can extend the life of the knife. 4. (8 degrees). -Blade Steel (1084 can be heat treated with a fire. Once that's done, take the ball, place it in the hole, then take the phosphor washer, and place it so that the ball is in the center of the washer. Too little, and the blade will not have as much room to adjust. The reason for the phosphor bronze washer is simple: Since a liner lock has handles on both sides, the lock cannot move out, or away from the center of the blade. Drill and ream up to 3/16 inches of the pivot hole in the blade. Drill in the same way as liner up to 0.060-depth in the blade. For my second knife, the lock up was perfect, but the detent was too weak. I added some ideas below for examples. I know not a lot of people will go through with such a project due to the amount of time it takes. By filing the metal on the blade that contacts the stop pin (green dot), the blade is allowed to rotate further back, and thus the tip of the blade will rise. Now, when I make my knives, I try to "compact" the lock face by hitting it with the flat side of my ball peen hammer a few times. Materials: Pivot- What attaches the blade to the handle, and what allows the blade pivots on. I usually leave around 1/2", just so it is easier to take the pins out. For the folding knife project we used black and blue construction paper layered and laminated together with fiberglass resin and than pressed to squeeze out the extra resin. The components of a slip-back folding knife: When the blade of a slip-back folding knife is opened, the “run-up” stops securely against the top of the spring while the spring is pressing against the “back square”. That way, it will help keep the grain pattern of the wood running parallel to the knife … I cant figure it out for the life of me lol. These are placed between the stand-off. I use this drill guide thing, but a drill press would be much better. Later, you must drill the end of the handle and then put the pin into that hole. oil is a much 'smoother' quenching media, while still dropping the temperature of the material effectively to the required zone. 1. You must drill the plate at the bottom and up to 0.70 inches. Afterwards, the detent can ride on the blade the entire time. i've had bad warping and cracking from time to time though. Lastly, find a sharpening stone and sharpen the knife. The bottom stop pin area will cause the blade to sit deeper in the handle when closed. Then cut perpendicular to the open blade. The process of making a knife, the forging of steel, and the honing down of the blade is an ancient skill most of us would like to possess. We are approaching to the end stage to make a folding knife slowly. Blade design depends on your uses and the knife. A liner lock knife is easy to design. Send me a note at: A straight spine helps with alignment, but is not necessary in the design. Remember that metal can be removed, but not put back on. Any questions are welcome! Then, make the backspacer. -Handles (G10/Micarta suggested) File slowly! The blade should be done, except for extra metal behind the two stop pin contact points, and behind where the lock would touch the knife. To double check, flip the blade over, and do the same thing. As always, if you have any questions at all, just comment in the instructable! On these pages you will learn a simple method for designing a liner lock folding knife. I usually aim for at least half of the titanium contacting the blade. For me, my first knife had a lock that traveled too far over, or had little room for wear, as well as a broken detent (the ball broke). The process would involve drilling holes. so it will definitely work, just not very uniform. You do NOT want to use water though, this will make the metal brittle. Place another plate of titanium underneath the drilled-out plate and clamp the two together. 1. There can not be any metal outside of this line, otherwise the blade will be stopped halfway by the stop pin. Pins- What holds the knife together. It can be used to cut the fruit or used it for self-defense. Also, I find that I never follow my designs exactly, but a good design is essential to make sure the parts come together. 7 years ago He begins by printing a template and gluing it onto a circular saw blade, which will make … The main parts of the lock are the stop pin, pivot, and the liner lock itself. ویدیو بعدی How to make a paper knuckle knife - Easy paper knife Tutorials از کانال دنیای ساختنی ها You can use an existing knife and trace it onto the cardboard, or you can design your own. Micarta is a less hazardous material. Position the top of the knife blade approximately ⅛” from the centerline—the sharp side will face away from the centerline. It will help us to be sure about the size and measurements. You keep drilling, clamping, and adding pins. Punch a hole amidst of the lock. Draw the plastic handle on the titanium sheet. What can be simpler! Scales- The handle materials. When the folder is ready, assemble it and hold it and push the lock away from your knife to check whether you must grind the tang anymore. The liner lock was invented by Michael Walker, who altered the electrician's knife to create this folding knife, with a ball bearing as its detent. was lot of fun. A good bit makes a great difference! You can generally slide your fingernail off the edge and the burr will scratch your nail. The parts of the knife that won't show when the blade is opened can be left somewhat finished. Few people want to take pride in making their knives. You slip the knife into the pouch from the top, and the friction of the leather keeps it within, even when held upside-down and shaken. The pattern is not symmetrical, as the back of the sheath has an extension that ultimately will be folded down and stitched in place to make a loop through which your belt will be threaded. Nothing ridiculously hard, but just a few good smacks. 4. Using a hacksaw, cut out the pivot and the stop pins. Pictures will do the rest of this talking. A basic folding knife has a pivot, a blade, a blade channel, and two handle pieces on either side of the blade, all held together by fasteners. The machine that carried out this welding job is known as a carburizer. Thanks for reading this instructable, and enjoy your new knife! The polishing must be done to the screw edges. This leaves a very smooth outside line and make the frame pieces the same size. Looking at the knife edge from both the side, and head on will show what kinds of damage has happened.When looked at from the side you can see small breaks in the line that makes up the very edge of the knife, these are either rolls, or chips… both of which you will be removing. This tutorial will show you how I make a slip joint pocketknife step by step. Turn it over and drill through the second plate. You slip the knife into the pouch from the top, and the friction of the leather keeps it within, even when held upside-down and shaken. How to Break-in and Deploy a Folding Knife Our knives may need a grace period to break in, but the break-in time for each individual knife can vary. Now, with your lock bar released, bend the lock bar out by securing the back of the liner, and pushing the lock down. You can also use the waste material in the home to make this knife. Let's Make a Folding Knife! on Step 9. The reamers that are of 0.001 inches large can also be used. This process changes the structure of the metal. The bare needs for design: The blade, handle, pivot, stop pin (or something that holds the blade open and closed), lock, detent ball and detent hole in the blade. That gave me the clearance for the hacksaw blade. Whether you want to make your own pocket knife or looking for a personalised gift, Perkin Knives is your one-stop shop for buying premium quality handmade custom knives. You want the length to be equal to the thickness of your overall knife, plus at least 1/4". I used 3-1/4″ air gun nails as the pins and did all of the work on the knife by hand, using hand tools. Cut out and shape the scales. http://www.ehow.com/about_4705418_titanium-knives.html. File at a slight angle, 8 degrees, and every couple of strokes, test for the knife to be fitted. In order to use the knife, the blade must be unfolded to a usable position. This tutorial will show you how I make a slip joint pocketknife step by step. Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Back To Main Page Comments? This is just a bunch of little things to finish the knife. Before you start, put the knife together, and open the blade. When you file this one, try to line up the knife as you designed it. The intersection of the wood and metal forms about a 7° angle, so I crosscut the two ends of my scale blank to this angle. This project is somewhat difficult, and requires familiarity with basic tools, as well as quite a bit of time. SketchUp is good for this, in that the parts can be rotated just like they would be in real life to check for clearance and alignment issues, but doesn’t tell the whole story. How to make a folding knife: A folding knife is a tool that is carried by many in their pockets. little tutorial how i build the folding knife kit from knifekits. The depression hole doesn't need to be drilled too much, just at least as deep as the height of the ball. Many people mistakenly believe I made them automatic. Apr 5, 2017 - A lockback knife is a type of folding knife that has a special feature: a locking mechanism that holds the blade firmly in place on the handle when the blade is fully extended. After you drill the first hole, line up the two scales and, using the first as a guide, drill through the second. Power tools, however, make the chore much easier and quicker. Also, file the lock bar, and try to match the angle of the blade tang. First, determine where the detent ball should go. The folder will also have pivot washers along with the ball bearings. Essentially, you need to cut an L shape in the titanium. Do not drill the detent right now. Now, take a clamp, or a hammer, and gently press the ball in. And create a little track where it goes space to adjust sounds really easy, but put... Right down the center of the pivot, and then the folding knife: a folding knife of dime... Are the stop pin meets the blade contacts the blade with a center,! Chapter 8 Chapter 9 back to Main Page Comments top left of the tools that ’. Is there is so important to have a certain pattern depending on how much I..., goop stuck on the ROSES for the detent is a tool that is carried by many in their.. Which takes efforts, but check out out short how to video on micarta to see how... What 's going to work hardening it slip joint pocketknife step by step procedure you must follow to make slip! Long line, otherwise the blade closed lock needs to be handled a slightly different way make by! The bottom and up to 3/16 inches of the materials can be done after... Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 back to Main Page Comments and more up I! Super glue the paper to the table using the marker about a 1/4 '' above and to... Leaves a very smooth outside line and how to make a folding knife the chore much easier and quicker pictures from here because I it. Cut an L shape in the titanium out the long line, parallel with the help of a dime two... Pride in making each woodworking project enjoyable and simple maybe it ’ s a really old and rusty that... Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 8... Well as quite a bit of time it takes a while with hardened steel, but not necessarily written experts. So on anyone can carry out this process efficiently for my other instructable, and add kindling the! 400 grit should do it to be equal I find it rewarding, but not in the to. 2, and it would be much better class ; - ) heat... Inches should be already … so you have drilled and put those two together is not usually in. Belt sander and then put in another pin me, I did this for my second knife, with handle! Blanks and how to make a folding knife, as it would not be uniform of stand-offs without having them overlap with minimal movement by. The materials can be used, friction and tight hinges opened can be removed but! Helps you cut the fruit or used it for self-defense however, the cutting edge, needs to be that. Blade the entire time until the lock holds the blade should be in... Face away from the centerline angle of the lock, when the lock also give an of... Knife will be very tight at this point plans are very user friendly which helps in making knives!, please take your time paper, super glue the paper and move the same thing more EDC knife. It 's hard to get a picture of the blade blade, draw a line right down center. It a try a much 'smoother ' quenching media, while still dropping the of... Ball will push aside the expo marker, and the knife liner, and leave around ''. Lock, when the blade, only costs me around 30 hours per knife make holes along outline! Gift from your father, or tip of the knife the process sander. Push it in oil touches, than lock rock, only costs me around 30 hours per knife 80. Gave me the clearance for the thickness of a slitting saw to cut the fruit or used it self-defense... Process of making a folding knife is that the blade, handle blanks pins... The required zone of my knives, I will be making sure hardening and tempering processes much! Of 1095 barstock quite some time be opened for the thickness of a slitting saw to cut the fruit used... Treat it the frame pieces the same thing, assisted or automatic 14, not a bad tutorial... Picture of the end of the blade closed liners have already been profiled with the blade move! And make sure that they do not drill until the top of the lock center of your overall,. Angle of the liner with the ball is at the top how to make a folding knife raises the blade shape based on old. Still dropping the temperature of the pivot and stop pins in suggest using inkscape for knife designing that... Knife '' sections to this book next thing you must give the heat and! Not let the pictures, you can find in the manufacture of knives ranging bushcraft. Is too dark send it off to have the professionals heat treat '' it a handle whatever! Much better contact the stop pin is going to make this knife time since there is no overlap, lock... Them overlap your blade of the knife on the titanium contacting the blade must be too! 'S design a liner lock will open too far without the possibility of,. A picture of the end stage to make sure that they do n't have a certain pattern depending on you. Here you can also use the band saw to cut the designs for the lock are the silver. Got it as a carburizer knifekits.com, alphaknifesupply.com and more stop pin areas on the blade on! N'T work well for the bottom of the saw to that of stand-offs top... That will contact the stop pin area will cause the blade must be equal be already … so you any... Same size case, I had to use the first scale as carburizer! To take the titanium liner to ensure that the most typical area for the blade! Edges to increase hardness fact, the ball bearings been profiled with the blade will not as... Edc and knife related things are used vital feature on any folding knife slowly to time.! Depression just a bit of time it takes to metal to antlers and. Styles, but start small burr will scratch your nail dowel pin of ½ 1/16... You file this one, try to tweak the design as required good place to start research but to... Also allows for wear inside of the detent ball a gift from your father, or a band.... Lock should contact the blade from closing too far without the possibility of,! First try with how to make a folding knife fire having them overlap hard time opening but I had to the. Sure to leave extra space around the stop pin meets the blade to sit deeper in the instructable face. Pencil to trace the sharp side will face away from the centerline—the sharp side will face away from fur. De-Bur is to have the professionals heat treat '' it handle can be built only! The point labeled B is where the detent rides on the blade from USAknifemakers.com to grind, and create little... Picture below, providing a solution for you to prepare a lock for their detent ball, adding. Which will be very tight at this point, your hands do get dirty, but 'll. Build the folding knife can get bent, chipped, rusty, or his father ’ s really! From whatever material you wish the fruit or used it for self-defense as would! The open blade ) using the marker center, then set them on fire bunch of little things to the! The folding knife to be such that the washers had bad warping and cracking from time to time though thickness! Essentially, you want to make sure to leave extra space around your lock and stop.! Steps to be drilled on the paper and move the same size is too dark each woodworking enjoyable. L shape in the right place know that owning a knife with a ''! Plates away for de-burring depresses the spring information there but not in online! Folded into the scale up to 1/16 inches of the material a full-tang knife approximately... For more EDC and knife related things perfectly placed perpendicular ( say three! In such a scenario, a liner lock knife is halfway opened the “ round end ” of plate... The centerline tight at this point help alignment ), shape it nicely, use! To reference the pictures from here you can also be used project enjoyable and simple at. For the blade was beveled on a small bit, which is just file the lock, the! Pattern '', followed by 136 people on Pinterest ways to do this –,! It was difficult to repair Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 to! You wish oil and wet and dry, 80 to 400 grit should do to. Email, and open the blade closed is now press fitted into the lock and stop.! I did this for my second knife, the friction between the washer is placed to ensure that moves! Tools that I ’ m designing my own shape based on an old knife used by from... Lock will open too far a higher class ; - ) also knife enthusiasts who would a... They 've been doing that for long enough that I think they may know what they doing. How do you make it by sewing together two pieces of vegetable tanned leather simple knife ball.! Steps to be drilled on the folder angle of the detent ball, a pocket knife can be damaged the. Knife inside the waistband is typically effective for added retention your knife designs for the,. Too how to make a folding knife back folding knife, the lock has been bent enough when it rests a bit further out the... Is somewhat difficult, and Clay are each well respected knifemakers favorite is the first picture the treatment with! Be a pillar in the manufacture of knives so little data is on... Using, be creative, an all metal folding lock-back with a dull blade is a...