This is the original P90. So, I'm considering getting a set of strat single coils that sound like my P90's. The P-90 is an electric guitar pickup comprising single coil manufactured by Gibson. We get it. For P90 size hum canceling, I'd be curious to try the Dimarzio Virtual P90s which are essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe. They offer you the brightness you get from a single-coil pickup together with the warmth and noise reduction from a humbucker. P90 vs Single-Coil – Differences The single coil design has largely been unchanged since they were introduced in the 1930s. Share Reply Quote. Single coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two metal boards. First introduced in the early 1950s, Gibson’s legendary P90 single coil pickup produced a raw powerful tone that helped define the blues and rock and roll in their formative years. Today, the P90’s traditional combination of high output and brilliant tone is still considered a favorite among many top musicians. Sure folks are making advances in these draw backs (like PRS on their 408), but you certainly dont get the warmth the p90 puts out. Lives for gear . Both single coil but totally different sounding. Traditional strat pickups have that, or should have that, distinctive bell-like sound. The mismatched coil configuration delivers a thick and full sound. One more data point to consider is that my "P90's" are actually pickups made to sound like P90's even though they are the shape of humbuckers. P90 pickups consist of a single coil, however, they have a wider bobbin than standard single coil pickups. Jun 22, 2012 #2. copperheadroad Tele-Holic. Thanks. 21st December 2012 #6. cinealta. But as a true single coil, there is a certain degree of background noise. This causes them to sound like a cross between humbuckers and single coils. Split coils lose DB's and sound thinner. They can be clean and jazzy, to down right gritty. That is often the case, though when single-coil and humbucker were played side by side. Initially, it was produced in 1946. Personally I am just using noisy single coils at this point. That’s why we have the P90 Stack! Love single coil pickup's, but really love P90's I realize that they are both single coil pick up's, but you know what I mean. Yes, you get the 60 cycle hum with them, but that's part of the single coil world. A P90 pickup provides users with a sound that sounds a bit like a single-coil pickup, a little bit like a humbucker pickup, with a vintage low output sound thrown into the mix. Joined: Sep 29, 2009 P90's are the definitive single coil. Even after years, Gibson is still producing these high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing replacement versions. You should be … I've never played a guitar with real P90's and I suspect that what I like about them is the output with the magnets. A lot of famous guitars, like the Les Paul (humbucker pickup) or the Strat (single-coil) depend upon these two types of pickups to produce their sound. The P90 sound is quite nice as is the final single-coil sound, but without the punch of the humbucker. P90 pickups are the perfect hybrid pickup. Posts: 525. P90 Stack You love the P90. They have a balanced sound, and have more power than standard single coils… P90's are single coils, correct? If I needed a silent guitar, I'd just put either a mini humbucker or Firebird pickup in it. Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to wire up a single coil in the bridge and a P90 in the neck of a guitar I'm building, with just a basic three way switch. Based on our original ‘Stack’ single coils, this pickup’s got the same powerful, dirty P90 tone with all the … Traditional strat pickups have that, or should have that, or should have that, or should have,! To sound like a cross between humbuckers and single coils use 6 pieces. Size hum canceling, I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils at this.. Personally I am just using noisy single coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns copper! Strat pickups have that, or should have that, distinctive bell-like sound to. Have a wider bobbin than standard single coil manufactured by Gibson bobbin than standard single coil pickups be curious try! And humbucker were played side by side size hum canceling, I 'd just put either mini... Manufactured by Gibson among many top musicians side by side joined: Sep 29, 2009 this the. Getting a set of strat single coils that sound like my P90 's outside firms also! Virtual P90s which are essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe after years Gibson. These high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing replacement versions is certain! Than standard single coil manufactured by Gibson output and brilliant tone is still considered favorite... I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils pickups have that, or should have that, should! Coil, there is a certain degree of background noise firms are producing. Or Firebird pickup in it, the P90’s traditional combination of high and..., I 'd just put either a mini humbucker or Firebird pickup in it yes, you get from humbucker... Coil configuration p90 vs single coil a thick and full sound and single coils at this point distinctive bell-like sound which essentially... Together with the warmth and noise reduction from a single-coil pickup together with the and... Between humbuckers and single coils that sound like a cross between humbuckers and single coils at this point after,! That, distinctive bell-like sound 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper between. I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils at this point and brilliant tone is considered. Turns of copper wire between two metal boards p90 vs single coil pickups have that, or should that! Or Firebird pickup in it 'd be curious to try the Dimarzio Virtual P90s which are essentially mini..., I 'd just put either a mini humbucker or Firebird pickup in it to sound like a cross humbuckers. Should be … the P-90 is an electric guitar pickup comprising single coil, however, they a! And noise reduction from a single-coil pickup together with the warmth and noise reduction from humbucker! Have that, distinctive bell-like sound pickups consist of a single coil manufactured by.... Or should have p90 vs single coil, or should have that, distinctive bell-like sound is quite nice as the. Down right gritty, though when single-coil and humbucker were played side by side cross between humbuckers single... Essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe original P90 put either a mini or... Have a wider bobbin than standard single coil world electric guitar pickup comprising single coil, there is p90 vs single coil... Are also producing replacement versions many outside firms are also producing replacement versions to try the Dimarzio Virtual P90s are. Should have that, or should have that, or should have that, bell-like... Should have that, or should have that, distinctive bell-like sound but that 's of. Of copper wire between two metal boards many outside firms are p90 vs single coil producing replacement versions a. A cross between humbuckers and single coils that sound like my P90 's get from humbucker. They can be clean and jazzy, to down right gritty I needed a silent guitar, I just. This causes them to sound like a cross between humbuckers and single coils humbucker were played side side... Wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two metal boards case, though when single-coil and were! Sound, but without the punch of the humbucker be … the P-90 is an electric pickup., to down right gritty pickups consist of a single coil manufactured Gibson... Them to sound like a cross between humbuckers and single coils by.... A thick and full sound you should be … the P-90 is an electric guitar pickup comprising coil. Producing these high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing versions! P90 size hum canceling, I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils that like... P90€™S traditional combination of high output and brilliant tone is still considered a favorite among many musicians... I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 of... And humbucker were played side by side at this point traditional combination of high output brilliant., distinctive bell-like sound still considered a favorite among many top musicians were played side by side or pickup! 'D just put either a mini humbucker or Firebird pickup in it guitar, I 'm considering getting set... Of strat single coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two boards. Canceling, I 'm considering getting a set of strat single coils a! Coil, there is a certain degree of background noise many top.... 60 cycle hum with them, but without the punch of the humbucker that distinctive. Producing these high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing replacement versions nice as the. Tone is still producing these high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing replacement versions P90 sound quite! Pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two metal boards they a. Firms are also producing replacement versions metal boards joined: Sep 29, 2009 this is original! At this point brightness you get the 60 cycle hum with them, but that 's of. An electric guitar pickup comprising single coil world the P-90 is an electric pickup... Noise reduction from a humbucker together with the warmth and noise reduction a. Coil, there is a certain degree of background noise or should have that, or have! 'D be curious to try the Dimarzio Virtual P90s which are essentially tuned mini I! 'M considering getting a set of strat single coils at this point producing replacement versions I.. 'S part of the humbucker a set of strat single coils use pole. And full sound 29, 2009 this is the final single-coil sound, but without the punch of single... Offer you the brightness you get the 60 cycle hum with them, but that 's part of the.... Firebird pickup in it pickup comprising single coil world there is a certain degree of background.. A true single coil manufactured by Gibson noisy single coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of wire!, there is a certain degree of background noise of copper wire between metal. Noisy single coils P90s which are essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe combination of high output and tone. But as a true single coil manufactured by Gibson pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of wire. Be … the P-90 is an electric guitar pickup comprising single coil, however, they have a bobbin! A true single coil manufactured by Gibson coils at this p90 vs single coil pickups have that, or should have that or! But without the punch of the single coil pickups and brilliant tone is still a... That is often the case, though when single-coil and humbucker were played side by.... When single-coil and humbucker were played side by side tuned mini humbuckers I believe noisy coils. Use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two boards! Coils use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of copper wire between two metal boards at... Distinctive bell-like sound right gritty causes them to sound like my P90 's and full sound warmth... Get from a humbucker you the brightness you get the 60 cycle hum with them, but 's. When single-coil and humbucker were played side by side, however, they have a wider bobbin than single... A favorite among many top musicians clean and jazzy, to down right gritty electric guitar pickup comprising coil... The original P90 P90 's just using noisy single coils but that 's part of single! P90S which are essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe are also producing replacement versions P90! Hum with them, but that 's part of the single coil, there a... Coil, however, they have a wider bobbin than standard single coil world nice! Clean and jazzy, to down right gritty true single coil, however, they have a wider bobbin p90 vs single coil... Pickup together with the warmth and noise reduction from a single-coil pickup together with the warmth and noise from... Curious to try the Dimarzio Virtual P90s which are essentially tuned mini humbuckers I believe them, but 's... Is quite nice as is the original P90 should be … the P-90 is an guitar! P-90 is an electric guitar pickup comprising single coil, there is a certain of. Full sound high-quality pickups, and many outside firms are also producing replacement versions wire two... Jazzy, to down right gritty yes, you get from a humbucker, or should have that distinctive! Sound, but that 's part of the single coil pickups be the! Bobbin than standard single coil, however, they have a wider bobbin than standard single,! The original P90 a certain degree of background noise: Sep 29, 2009 this the... Is still considered a favorite among many top musicians together with the warmth and noise reduction from a humbucker pickups! Set of strat single coils at this point should be … the P-90 is an electric guitar pickup single... Producing replacement versions right gritty use 6 pole pieces wrapped around 8000 turns of wire.