A fixed blade in a sheeth, folder on a clip in your pocket, a sling shot in your pocket, open carry of a firearm or concealed, someone gets a peek or even one who just wants to make an issue to cause trouble in your life. Stores aren’t required to check your legality to own. I was told if it wasn’t longer than 6 inches but I’m wondering seeing he same question and also how old u have to be to carry one around. A knife is a tool, nothing more or less. This knife opens using a thumb stud which is part of the blade (assisted opening?). The local scout troop wasn’t worth much at cub level, all the awkwardness with none of the outdoor adventure. The truth of the matter is, Washington has some rather confusing knife laws that seem lenient but under certain circumstances can be very strict. Any knife is nominally allowed, see below, Statutes unclear; potentially no knife allowed for concealed carry, Switchblades and gravity knives; assisted opening okay. In the state of Washington, it’s legal to own dirks, daggers and other stabbing knives, Bowies, stilettos, disguised knives and throwing stars. This means that one does not have to intend to cause alarm or fear in order to be guilty of a crime under the statute. I’m not kidding. Reading Time: 5 minutes Maryland Knife Laws Maryland’s knife laws have been under scrutiny lately. They also helped me save $30! These two interstates cross many states so, Im reading state by state. I drive a Truck from NC to CA, sometimes to WA, using I-40 for northern CA or I-20 for southern CA. It is legal to open carry any type of weapon, so long as it is not carried in a way that may cause others alarm. While you could legally walk around with a .50 Desert Eagle openly carried on your belt without any permit, if you are carrying a 4″ paring knife, you would be arrested. People are so soft; either allow knives with clear restrictions, or don’t allow any at all. So with my Wa State carry permit, I can carry a 44 Mag under my jacket, but not an automatic knife? Last week, on January 25, Knife Rights’ Director of Legislative Affairs gave testimony at the state capitol in Olympia, Washington, in support of two similar pro-knife bills. Debate, compromise, think hard about what skills give children the most value, and keep pushing everyone else in your community to really think about it as well! You need to make it very clear what length of the blade of a pocket knife people are allowed to carry on their person so that they know ahead of time before going into the state. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. Hey Ben; Thanks for taking the time to write – I really do appreciate it. Or your shirt comes untucked and you don’t realize.. or an idiot says something idiotic to you, suddenly the rules change. I’m surprised to see you can’t even protect yourself in your backyard in WA State. (ii) Any device, object, or instrument which is used or intended to be used as a weapon with the intent to injure a person by an electric shock, charge, or impulse. In some states, including Tennessee and Washington, the laws regarding these knives are a gray area, as the legality of them depends on whether or not they are classified as switchblades. If one has a concealed permit is any of this a concern??? or, or, or. Anyone disagreeing does not belong in America. And they all vary. Ultimately I don’t care much about freedoms to carry guns and knives as much as the freedom to worship my God. Sep 13, 2008 #1. smoked1. They should be like Arizona, which has no knife laws, and knives are covered by a Concealed Weapon Permit. So if you have a switchblade with a sick skin and dull it, is it still illegal? VMC 7.11.010 - Defines some knife terms. What about triangle or trench knives? It is a collection of Session Laws (enacted by the Legislature, and signed by the Governor, or enacted via the initiative process), arranged by topic, with amendments added and repealed laws … Would that be illegal? So you never mentioned Karambit knives, and I might buy one and am studying the laws about them. In reading through the law and how the court has ruled in the past, your conclusion seems to be correct. You can own it, but don’t get caught carrying it outside your home, you would be asking for trouble if stopped. App. Ownership and use of arms are illegal in Washington; knives are no exception. When the legislature fails to define a term, the Court will generally use the plain English meaning of the word, which is the meaning giving by Webster’s dictionary. Senate Bill 6179 and House Bill 2347 would clarify the definition of a switchblade so as to not include assisted-opening knives that are currently adversely interpreted as being illegal in the state. Does Washington State have a restriction as to to length of a folding pocket knife blade? My wife and I sold knives and swords in the shop we had in the Yard Bird mall. Concealed carry is illegal without a CCW regardless of the weapon. liberals haven’t done one thing right ever so how are you going to convince them to change. Cops have a hardon for bikers and would love nothing more than to bust them. For protection in the state of Washington. @Geezer Man: No, “Conceal carry and display laws do not apply to those who are… defending themselves against a presently threatened use of unlawful force.”. You can read all about this sorry state of affairs in RCW 9.41.250: (a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife; (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or. The Evergreen State is surprisingly restrictive when it comes to knives. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife. This article puts all of the laws together in an easy to understand way, so that anyone can figure out what is legal and what is not when it comes to owning and carrying knives in the state of Washington. The Lockup is as good as any knife out there. I have there for protection and intimidation because of crazy people in downtown and at work. You kind of just defeated yourself with your circular saw analogy. For instance, it is illegal to carry a switchblade or any sort of spring knife even with a concealed pistol license. As I pointed out, if he was comparing legal knife ownership to illegal gun acquisition and ownership, the comparison is unfair and is pointless (it doesn’t make sense to discuss the burdens imposed on a legal activity – knife collection – by complaining that others conduct another activity – illegal firearms sales – without similar burdens). Many of my friends practice martial arts, collect weapons, LARP, and otherwise swing “dangerous-looking” objects around. Also many years ago I was told it is also legal for a one armed man to carry an automatic knife. The blade is 3 7/16 inches long. I live in WA and work in OR. You have a responsibility to look this stuff yourself as part and parcel of being a free and informed citizen. Depends on city and county mostly. I think this answers your question (from above): It is legal to own a disguised knife, such as a lipstick or belt buckle I suppose that as act in the fashion of a “butterfly knife” or similar and a spring doesn’t release the blade in someway, like a switch blade, a sword cane would be alright. Is it ok to have my machete in between the center console and my driver seat? If you live in one of the 50 states, the federal law would only apply to you if you are traveling from one state to another or if you are entering federal property, such as a military base. It held that the word applied to the conduct of carrying a concealed weapon, which, when concealed was necessarily ‘secret’ and not to the intent. Remember what happened to that poor, old deaf Indian wood carver in Seattle a few years back, shot by some overzealous Seattle robocop because he was crossing a street carving on a piece of wood. I own one myself, and actually use it fairly often at work. Some help, please. Most laws about non-firearm weapons are by state, with very few existing at the Federal level. I’ve seen the word “Alarm” more then once, as in causing others “alarm”.. Websters dictionary defines alarm as a few things including “sudden sharp apprehension and fear resulting from the perception of imminent danger”. Also in 1994, the Court held, in State v. Byrd, that because the display of a weapon in a manner that caused reasonable fear or alarm could be done without intent, *a violation of the statute did not require intent. So can I open carry a sword and are there age requirements to open carry a sword or sledgehammer? The statute does exempt those in their “abode” or fixed place of business, and it also exempts those in the act of protecting themselves against an unlawful use of force. But you’re not, because your premise – which is correct – is that there are laws covering the legal ownership and transfers of knives, while imagining that such rules don’t apply to firearms. Yes, I know I’m a year late. take a look at a Cold Steel 6 inch Ti lite that can be opened manually as fast as any switchblade. “sudden sharp apprehension and fear resulting from the perception of imminent danger” sounds like paranoia and any such enforcement of this as a law is strictly Totalitarianism and should not be accepted. So..what is the True conclusion to Washington State? It is quite the trick for any layperson to sift through the scatter… The knife possession law might be little less stressing but when you are caught with a knife concealment issue, this would be problematic. I never refer my pocket knife as a weapon. I read the actual law and it's a bit confusing. Usually, it is the local city ordinances that get you. Open carry is also permitted, provided the store or the facility does not have a sign displayed preventing it. have both been implemented , so looking those up might help establish a legal age. Take care my friend! Required fields are marked *. I own a Benchmade Infidel with about a 3″ blade that snaps open when I push the slide forward, and snaps closed when I push the slide backwards. But there is no statewide pre-emption of knife laws. Honestly, all I want to do is carry a fixed blade (under 3.5”) with a larger/longer handle as my EDC. Some cops/security let you carry stuff while at other fairs, they only allow performers to have such weapons and then they can only unsheath their weapon at specific times for a limited amount of time and then package the swords/knives very securely in the car trunk for the trip home. Knife laws in Washington are sort of descriptive but they are strict as well. Fixed or retracted? If you participate in any one of those things, you have no right to forbid others from doing likewise. I don’t have a super good answer, but I do know this: it depends on which fair in which state. I mushroom hunt in the woods and prefer a kitchen knife to cut them off.? (2) “Spring blade knife” means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. Guess if I ever hunt in Washington I’ll have to clean with a sharp hatchet. Nope! Led by the efforts of 2012 Knife Rights Freedom’s Point Award winner Mike Vellekamp of V Nives, a bipartisan “Spring Blade” Ban Repeal bill, SB 5782, has been introduced by Washington State Senator Hans Zeiger.It would repeal the ban on sales and civilian possession of “spring blade” knives, as well as specifically exclude them from the definition of “dangerous weapon.” Can you carry a conceaed knife. If you don’t like legal speak, here are the basics of what knives are legal under Alabama knife laws. Just one thing. 47. In 2003, however, the same Court, in State v. Smith, ruled that a person’s backyard was not ‘in their home’ and therefore, a person was not exempt from the carry or display statute while in their backyard. No person who is serving in a position that is basically clerical or secretarial in nature, or who is not commissioned shall be considered a law enforcement officer. Current state law permits assisted openers, since July 2012. Knife History: George Washington’s Penknife. No other knife is defined by the statutes or by the case law. However, there is a caveat. Since then 594 and 1639 (93?) So is this saying you can’t carry a knife around unless in your own home? and if someone is intimidated by a gun openly displayed on your hip, let them go somewhere else. Additionally, no-good, untrustworthy civilians employed by a knife maker or distributor of knives are allowed to possess the banned types for testing and demonstration. That does depend on how scary the weapon is, and the behavior of the suspected individual. The definition of open carry vs. Our politicians catered to the ignorant fears of their constituants by passing a slew of silly laws. You can also keep the weapon locked in your car if you have a legitimate reason to be at the school and not a student. Should I only carry a gun in WA? Insofar as open carry that could be prohibited under the statue below as others might consider it to be intimidating. “reasonable person” in Washington State is an oxymoron….. As the State has nothing that restricts knives, many cities do. You can sell anything privately, SOGs main headquarters is located in WA. Does a waistband style sheath count as concealed? Many venues have repealed these, “no horses on the boardwalk laws”. Seattle has a city ordinance that prohibits concealed weapons of six feet in length. Is it still illegal? there is no state ban on length but cities and counties have their own laws. Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by smoked1, Sep 13, 2008. Local laws are often different (and ever-changing) than state laws, and when it comes to a serious issue like this, it’s best to get official info from a local certified source. RCW 9.41.250 Dangerous weapons—Penalty. We also despise the bullies and those who abuse their considerable authority. washington state has a legal militia, and in fact all able-bodied citizens of washington state are legally considered members of the state militia (RCW 38.04.030). For myself, I would love to carry a sword in a traditional on-the-belt fashion, as I know several people that participate in Renaissance, SCA, and LARP events that want to dress up in traditional costume or armor. It depends on where exactly you are going this christmas and what knife you want to carry, I live in an apartment building in Seattle, Recently the fire department was at our complex for a medical call, At the time I was caring my “Cold Steel, 39LSF Leatherneck” on my belt and not concealed. Oh, I voted straight democratic ticket. I have not read the statute but this is my understanding of Washington State law. I never understood the logic. They did, of course, call to inform the prison admins of what they’d be doing in advance. I see your point in the absurdity of the law, but it is not all the left wings fault you see. Is this legal to carry? KnifeUp.com is a production of 3hree 6ixteen Net Assets, 3 Ways to Actually Sleep When Camping in a Hammock, Camping With Diabetes : A Beginner’s Guide, Best Hunting Knives : Folding and Fixed Blade, Buying Guides, Knife Life, Knives, Our Favorite Knives, "I've been looking for knife law guides for a while and your articles are amazing. Please, never vote for conservatives. Just be cool, OK? (2) “Spring blade knife” means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. Does anyone know if it is legal to conceal a fixed blade push knife? A handful of states have introduced legislation recently to repeal knife laws that ban some types of knives, a trend that has been taking place around the country in recent years. I asked a desk sergeant at Spokane PD that question. What about balisongs in washington state? (a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon. Just because you can buy something doesn’t make it legal. How old do you have to be to buy a knife in WA? It also said that Division One of the Court had noted that the term “dangerous weapon” is similar to the term deadly weapon, which is defined in RCW 9.94A.125 as an instrument that has the capacity to inflict death. so just to be clear; you ARE allowed to carry knives in public, just not concealed; in your pocket, in a hidden knife-pouch, whatever. These knife laws are bizarre. (I am not a lawyer. And what age do I need to require? The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men. (You are certainly talking about legal transfers. Pete. those citizens who are not part of the formal organized militia are considered part of the “unorganized militia” to be called to duty in times of grave emergency (RCW 38.08.050). (and) 2.) Remember its not just anyone who can be offended it has to be reasonable. the 2nd amendment has never been interpreted by the courts to guarantee an individual or private right to organize a militia, and in fact it seems to encourage legal regulation of militias. How do the laws work at ren faires? I leave now more confused than EVER!! A very popular type of knife right now is the assisted opening knife. It is legal to own dirks, daggers, bowie knives, stilettos, throwing stars and disguised knives, notes KnifeUp, the Knife News Magazine. (1) Every person who: (a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife; (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW. You might want to read: Washington State Knife Laws. Don’t know what jurisdiction you’re talking about here. you folks have misrepresented the conclusions of state v Byrd. I believe that others have indicated that there are no length requirements at the state level itself. I was told You could carry them if the blade wasnt longer than your four fingers. Also, some cops judge the entire length of the blade including the ricasso (the unsharpened bit between the hilt and beginning of the cutting edge) but typically the courts only count the actual cutting edge. Please answer directly. It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk, dagger, or other dangerous weapon. Many cities have a length limit. We need to be allowed to carry larger knives to protect ourselves from them! It is legal to open carry any type of weapon, so long as it is not carried in a … It is illegal to own a switchblade or other spring blade knife in the state of Washington. I will say that I have never seen anyone exhibit “alarm” with a knife of mine, even in lefty Seattle. There are also exceptions for persons making a lawful arrest or participating in military activities sponsored by the … That is the true issue. . The laws on butterfly knives are miss-informed and outdated for some reasons. I might accidentally intimidate a liberal commie and get into trouble if I use a knife. I refer to it as a cutting tool. I also said that I have a concealed permit, and he said that the permit is only for hand guns. Many, many cities do have length restrictions. We’re in washington so offending someone by just having a knife is very easy. So then I can carry a Gerber MkII on my belt if I stay out of Libtard utopias? Unless there is a new law that I am not aware of I would like to make a correction that it IS legal to own a switch blade/type knife but not legal to carry/conceal/possess in public regardless of concealed or not. Not good bro! Washington Knife Laws. The laws for knives out here basically state if you carry anything (concealed carry gun aside), someone could have you arrested because they’re not a fan of you holding. Is a sword cane (sword concealed within a walking cane) illegal within the state as a whole? The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license. Yes they are. A knife on your hip is perfectly fine. Is that concealed carry? God bless. Only if you cross the cascade curtain to the west. Dirk, dagger, or other stabbing knives; Bowie knife; Stiletto; Disguised knives, such as a lipstick or belt buckle; Throwing stars; What is illegal to own in Washington? Before you ask, assisted opening knives are explicitly allowed by language that is also found in federal mandates on the subject, so you should have no issues with mere ownership, though carrying it is another clam entirely. Demand to carry larger knifes to offset their bullcrap! Two state supreme court challenges have failed to loosen this prohibition. That they have stood for so long illustrates the way that the Left has corrupted the courts with liberal activist judges. Also…A couple years back, I went with my gf to court for her traffic tickets, i forgot i had handed off my expensive and quality switchblade to her the night before. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. The blade does not come out abruptly at any point, and the unfolding is completely manual, just technically made a little easier by a spring. There are laws concerning the types of firearms that can be legally purchased and owned (for instance, there is no free commerce in NFA Class III weapons – such trade is tightly regulated) and “anyone” cannot “get a gun” legally; felons and others are considered “prohibited persons” who are not allowed to possess firearms. Is it legal to open carry a bowie knife and close carry. I found a great knife that did exactly what I wanted to do thanks to them. Alaska’s Knife Rights Act, which enacts sweeping reform of Alaska’s knife laws. If “intent” isn’t even necessary to allow the Peelers to throw you in the back of the black maria just because some overwrought liberal cat lady, who’d drank half a box of El Cheapo, and soiled her yoga pants at the sight of the buck knife hanging from your belt, I fail to see how you could carry anything openly (or you’re taking a big risk depending how sane the people are around you). (It should be noted that both of these cases involved idiots claiming a 2A right to carry around a paring knife which the courts ruled was not a weapon protected by 2A. So on top of state laws, there are local county and city laws to contend with as well. In the state of Washington, it is legal to own a dirk, dagger, or any kind of stabbing knife; a bowie knife; a stiletto; a disguised knife; and even throwing stars. You need to pay close attention to the exact wording of the law and always err on the side of caution if you want to avoid trouble in the state. no, militias are not illegal, the statute is just stating that there is no individual or private right to organize a militia, which is in line with the 2nd amendment. In fact, the longer the blade, the easier it is to simply break off the blade. Who knew? Your Washington DC laws link only goes to Washington State. Does it fold? Does this make some of my clients and I on the wrong side of the law? For instance might be illegal to own or possess a switchblade. Washington states laws could be interpreted to make just about any knife illegal. What about Kershaw’s assisted open blades? You can look that up for yourselves and check out RCW 9.41.270 for the rest of the story on carry and display law in WA: RCW 9.41.270 Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm—Unlawful carrying or handling—Penalty—Exceptions. I love KnifeUp. Now, if you want to try this with a “real” knife and not a bit of improvised kitchenware, I’m sure we can get a legal defense fund up for you. There is no specific length limit in state law. One of the firemen came up to me and told me that I should conceal “that pig sticker” before a police officer see’s it, because it is illegal to carry. Might be worth a look in any case. outside of official state militias and a few other exceptions, no organized body is allowed to conduct itself as a military company or organize or parade in public with firearms (RCW 38.40.120). Restrictions on Carry: and yes… open carry laws are a bit screwy here. (6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building. Soo…I can put my 16in ka-bar on my belt and and walk around town without getting hasseled by cops? I hear you man. March 29, 2012: Washington Governor Chris Gregoire signed Knife Rights supported HB2347 into law this evening at a signing ceremony at the capitol. Also, what do you suggest is the best type of knife to carry for self-defense purposes, legally? 9.41.250 says a knife with “bias toward closure” is not a “spring blade knife”. There are a handful of questions from Vancouver Washington all on the subject of knives lately, it may be that the answer has already been provided. Miles, 1995), what opinions and tea-leaves readings we have do not codify the law. The cop was pretty cool, he said I could walk and he’d dispose of the knife. Your email address will not be published. As a liberal, commie, pinko PROGRESSIVE!!! Where’d you run into trouble is your location. WA knife laws aren't what you need to be concerned about so much as local laws. if i have a less than or equal to 5″ ka-bar knife and it has to be open carry,which I have the sheathe, could i still use the transit or walk down the street without a cop stopping me? A butterfly knife, also called a Balisong knife, is considered dangerous and illegal in some states because it can be easily used as a deadly weapon. In Washington State, conceal carry is permitted if you have a valid State approved CCP. State law doesn’t care. These laws go against the right to keep and especially BEAR arms. Yeah what about Nate G’s 2nd point? but not A switch blade knife. But before you get too comfy with the idea of carrying a knife on your own frickin’ property, consider one case from 2003, State vs. Smith, which determined, in fact, that a deck, outbuilding or yard was not considered part of the “home”, and there would be no defense against the prohibition on carry or display while outside the walls of the primary dwelling. A pocket knife as defined by Wikipedia is a foldable knife with one or more blades that fit inside the handle that can still fit in a pocket. “Any street corner” is an exaggeration in any city in America, and his comparison of legal knives with illegal guns is dishonest anyway! Ms. Myles appealed the conviction to the Court of Appeals, who reversed the conviction. I’m a widow and need to be able to take care of myself. ), State v. Haley, 665 P.2d 1375 (1983 Wash. When I spoke to my local court system about it, seeing as I owned one, I showed him my knife (he was willing to come out to my truck to see it), and he told me it was fully legal to EDC. By “Spring assisted” I mean a folded knife that you have to manually open and pull the blade out, but at the end of the rotation there is some slight slack given by a spring-like mechanism. Many liberals think being timid means they’re compassionate. Everything seems out of control. It’s safe to assume you’d be expected to have ID on your if you’re over 18. (Including knife throwing. Switchblade laws led the list. They are fighting to get stupid knife laws repealed. Reading Time: 5 minutes Oregon Knife Laws While Oregon doesn’t top the list as the most knife-friendly state, it is certainly less restrictive than most. Thank you Geoge Orwell and other futuresest. However, pointing fingers at one political side or another gets us right where we are; divided, unable to stand, russia’s play-thing. Its closed length is 3 inches; its handle appears to be mother-of-pearl. Many King County services are continually adapting because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Can you tell me the brands and names of the assisted open knives? No distinction is made whether open or concealed. If an officer says its reasonable then it is, and if not then its his responsibility for saying go ahead. With that new title it limits what can be carried. The bad guys from WWII. If the left gets their way, there will be 4 week waiting periods for a slingshot. Because I’m guessing that’s the reason why they made switch blades illigal (making tricks and cutting themselves). Is it legal to have a bayonet on a rifle? That is my soap box for today. You might be asked to surrender it while you are talking to the cop, but it will be returned, and if you are charged, you, and the cop, will be able to say “it’s not a weapon”. (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: (c) Any person who is involved in a convention, showing, demonstration, lecture, or firearms safety course authorized by school authorities in which the firearms of collectors or instructors are handled or displayed; (d) Any person while the person is participating in a firearms or air gun competition approved by the school or school district; (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student; (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; (g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or. I wouldn’t carry one. If the police officer asks “are you armed?”, the response is “no, but I do have a pocket knife that I carry as a too”. You have a Concealed Pistol License, as stated on the license itself. Well said, well said. The Attorney General’s Office periodically reviews the laws of other states to determine whether those laws meet the requirements for Washington to reciprocally recognize a concealed pistol license or permit issued by those states. Re: Knife Laws in Washington Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 am As I understand the state law allows one to carry a fixed blade knife as long as the knife is not a dagger or dirk. (f) “Military service” means the active, reserve, or national guard components of the United States military, including the army, navy, air force, marines, and coast guard. Local municipalities cannot make knife laws, only the State can. I was terribly shy and dropped out after less than a year. According to a video put out by kniferights.org, which is sort of an NRA for knife laws, balisongs are illegal in the UK, Canada, the US and the Philipines. So, do I vote for the group that denies my freedom to protect myself but gives a type of freedom to others that have been persecuted; or do I vote for the group that would remove peoples freedoms to choose what type of life they want to live but allow them to carry a tool to protect themselves (mostly as there have been several laws in the past that targeted removing guns from minorities but I think we are almost past that). Re: Washington State Knife Laws Post by bladebum » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 am I haven't seen any specific in the WA State laws, BUT, # 2 below is always the gray area, got ya clause. Nominally, as written, the law would require all the components named in 1(b) to be present for a crime to be committed, but the extremely vague nature of “furtively” means that anyone who merely keeps a common, short pocketknife in their pocket is liable to be charged under the right circumstances. Having said that, I have a hard time following your reasoning. And I wish that kids were encouraged to learn those skills today, but, we aren’t. It is also illegal to carry or display a dagger, sword, knife, or other cutting or stabbing instrument in a manner or under circumstances that would cause alarm or show an intent to intimidate another. It is unlawful for anyone to possess a “switchblade” within the District. You can conceal alot if you have a leather trench coat. He got himself a super nice knife. I haven't found such clear law advice anywhere else. Yes, we need all dangerous weapons and long knives out of many locations that require security. Pocket Knife Laws In The State of Washington, United States. As for the carry laws…. ), the state supreme court ruled in 2012(?) . The Attorney General is required by law to publish a list of states with which Washington has reciprocity. Laws and rules: Firearms Current laws and rules. (1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools: (b) Any other dangerous weapon as defined in RCW 9.41.250; (c) Any device commonly known as “nun-chu-ka sticks,” consisting of two or more lengths of wood, metal, plastic, or similar substance connected with wire, rope, or other means; (d) Any device, commonly known as “throwing stars,” which are multipointed, metal objects designed to embed upon impact from any aspect; (e) Any air gun, including any air pistol or air rifle, designed to propel a BB, pellet, or other projectile by the discharge of compressed air, carbon dioxide, or other gas; or, (f)(i) Any portable device manufactured to function as a weapon and which is commonly known as a stun gun, including a projectile stun gun which projects wired probes that are attached to the device that emit an electrical charge designed to administer to a person or an animal an electric shock, charge, or impulse; or. Hi, I can’t find the answer anywhere to the question I’m about to ask. Our schools, court houses, hospitals, airports, etc must be protected and secure. WA knife laws aren't what you need to be concerned about so much as local laws. RCW 9.41.250 - Spring Blade Knife Definition & other state laws on knives. I live in a smallish west coast city, went to a pretty good high school, and only had room to take one practical elective – I chose drafting – and I wish like hell that I’d had more exposure to crafts. (I personally prefer pockets but if concealing them in public is a crime then I’m wondering if a sheath counts as “concealment”). For example, can the county prosecutor give me a document I can present to police when needed, that says he will not press charges…or something like that…that would give me the ability to at least carry it around in my county? A pocket knife as defined by Wikipedia is a foldable knife with one or more blades that fit inside the handle that can still fit in a pocket. Why? Because military, law enforcement, and handicapped are allowed to have them. While the language governing what kind of knives you can own is clear enough, even with what case precedents there are the laws are too vague when it comes to carrying them on or about your person. Washington D.C. has its own local laws governing knives, even though it is a federal district. And at the same time I believe that when you aren’t allowed to defend yourself you will lose freedoms as well. (e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments. From unclear statutes that seemingly ban knives outright for the purposes of concealed carry to murky interpretations of common words and legal concepts including where your own home begins and ends, Washington proves once more there is no place so promising and beautiful that Leftist leadership can’t screw it up for everyone. Possibly illegal for the adult to buy them for me? The only exception is people working in the military, law enforcement agencies, emergency medical services, and fire departments. In 2017, Texas lawmakers repealed a ban on carrying some knives, including the Bowie knife. It was a strange boy back then who did not have a pocket knife, but now they kick kids out of school for a simple pocket knife. This sad-sack state has even made it a crime to dispose of one, so you’ll be a criminal if you throw your illegal knife away, weld it shut or chop it up. Im pretty sure he meant anyone can illegally get a gun on any street corner..which would be almost correct. Do not trust me. For a fact, when I managed a convieneince (sic) store in the back side of Graham in Peirce county, policy was nobody under the legal drinking age could buy a pocket knife, and we had dozens on display but kept under lock and key and away from easy reach. If there’s laws on carry size is there a license I can obtain? Most likely No harm done. One question though, does having a concealed weapon permit cover concealed legal knives in WA State? Is open carrying a neck knife sold at a Washington state store and bought for the intended use of self defense or use as a tool illegal in the state of Washington? According to federal law, the only knife that can be carried in a federal facility (like a federal courthouse or federal building) is a pocket knife with a blade less than 2.5” long. The ability to open a blade by spinning would seem to apply to balisong and butterfly knives, yet I see them all the time at gun/knife shows and shops. (2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. Relevant Washington State Statutes Covering Use and Ownership of Knives, Relevant Cases of Importance to Legal Interpretation. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. The more you act with diplomacy, the further you’ll get. No, there is no concealed Weapon Permit in Washington. is it legal for me to carry a folding knife which is 3.5 inches, in my pocket? I’m not seeing anything in a quick glance at state law, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t miss something. I hate this. So the question becomes not whether a convicted felony can carry a knife in Washington - but - whether A PERSON can carry a knife in Washington? Sometimes, it cannot actually be a full 3.5 inches to be legal. Is a butterfly knife illegal to own in Washington US? Although knives are popular as collectibles, tools, and self-defense weapons, carrying a knife or owning certain types of knives may be illegal under state or federal law. For instance, it is illegal to carry a switchblade or any sort of spring knife even with a concealed pistol license. Is he in deep doo-doo if some punks come along and try to accost or rob him and he pulls his sword out to poke some holes in the punks? The Chesapeake State is not only in close proximity to the Washington, D.C., but it is the home to one of the most violent cities in America, Baltimore, which reported 98.6 violent crimes per 10,000 residents in 2018. “Washington DC gun laws now operate on a “Shall Issue” policy after a ruling by the US Court of Appeals, the decision is FINAL! Now I have arthritis in both hands, can’t open a bag of chips, and am a criminal if I carry a knife. This is in effect as long as the knives are securely wrapped. No spin for the win!) I am 69 years old and have carried a knife since I was 5 years old and living on a farm in Indiana. It specifically defines one as NOT being a ‘spring blade’ if the spring/detent or other mechanism is there to keep it open (lock back) once already opened. Paid Subscribers don't see ads! You see, I’m not all about “freedom shouldn’t be infringed upon”. . We are sorry that happened to you. We must take the time to bring correct outdated, wrong, and unfair laws and enforcement abuses through our democratic process. Am I at fault? are they legal to purchase / posses/ sell? Schools: Knives and other dangerous weapons prohibited on school grounds. The Evergreen State is surprisingly restrictive when it comes to knives. It is illegal to carry a dirk, dagger or other dangerous weapon concealed. Basically they can take you to jail for having any weapon all they have to say is some one was scared or offended, that’s their probably cause, that’s as bad if not worse than stop and frisk…. It seems only foreigners in protected cities have these special rights! From unclear statutes that seemingly ban knives outright for the purposes of concealed carry to murky interpretations of common words and legal concepts including where your own home begins and ends, Washington proves once more there is no place so promising and beautiful that Leftist leadership can’t screw it up for everyone. I live in Lynnwood. The carrying of knives in public is forbidden or restricted by law in many countries. The fact that could be easily and quickly opened suggested it was a weapon by design. Anyone know if there is a legal age requirement for ownership? Nevertheless, they are laws and cannot be broken until the universal populace shows that these are not that dangerous, as they seem to be. 4. Probably not a rowdy group. The laws are vague and impossible to really understand here. My rights are non negotiable, anyone using any “law” or other excuse to try to infringe upon them deserves to be resisted and defeated with whatever force is nessicary. I always length was the major difference, but according to the article, size isn’t even mentioned. As many F-tards that demand to own dangerous dog breeds . with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon." Not to say it’s logical, mind you, but the constitution does not require the law to be logical. What are you gonna do ban those? Dirk, dagger, or other stabbing knives; Bowie knife; Stiletto; Disguised knives, such as a lipstick or belt buckle; Throwing stars; What is illegal to own in Washington? though I did covet in my younger years to be sure, and I continue to struggle with sin to this day. Can you direct me to any supporting documentation on the handicapped exemption? You’d better remember to take it off or you could get into a lot of trouble. Tool is the keyword. I live in Dupont, Washington. ", "KnifeUp's series of knife reviews was really helpful. WHAT in the world is ‘so long as it is not carried in a way that may cause others alarm’ this could mean anything…. i am a knife collector and do not have a switchblade in my collection and find this law in wash.state to be idiotic.anyone can get a gun on any street corner in any city but you cant have a spring blade knife??? This is more towards Josh’s comment, all of these laws are dumb… and that is the true rub. My dad says I would be arrested for it though. I was informed that the city of Seattle had a city ordinance prohibiting the carrying of any concealed weapon over six feet in length. What is legal to own in Washington? So a knife on your belt in summer is ok, but come fall or evening or that matter, you slip on a jacket . It be legal because he isn’t carrying it in a harmful way. All 50 states have their own knife law, and many of the local jurisdictions within a state will oftentimes have their own, more regulated knife laws as well. Permits will be issued to residents and non-residents but it may take some time for these changes to be implemented. Illegal: It is illegal to cover carry any dangerous weapon. A man was stabbed to death on Tuesday, Oct. 23. It accomplishes little to argue with ignorant law enforcement personnel. It is sharp on both sides. I haven’t seen a length limit smaller than 3″ in the three counties around Seattle. I have been to many types of faires where multiple people are carrying around dirks, daggers, axes and a variety of swords……..personally, I haven’t a problem with such an environment but isn’t that still breaking the law? Washington State knife laws are vague and difficult to piece together. The world has changed! I am moving to Washington state in a few weeks. If I recall there is still a legal fixed blade or sheathed blade length for legal carry of 3.5″ and this is open carry. It’s pretty easy to check the law in your city or county. Research, research, research! With two caveats; they must be able to recognize it as a sheath to a knife. I’m very “late” joining this discussion, but it has been mentioned that belt carry for a fixed blade, is not considered concealed in most Washington state locations (excluding the outright prohibition in Seattle.) (but that depends on the interpretation of the judge. WA Knife Laws need revamping, How old do you have to be to own a trainer butterfly knife in Washington. “anyone can get a gun on any street corner in any city”, Wrong. ", "I'm relieved that there is someone out there protecting me and my rights. a military base), or live in Washington DC. If have a concealed wepons permit. Also, another article on this site mentioned that not being able to see the handle was concealed- not sure if it was only in that state though. cheers, J. The idea that that some weapons are “bad” because certain types of “bad” people use them (like 1930s gangsters used Tommy guns), and that their possession and use can be prevented by laws (to which only the law-abiding adhere), is a sad one that goes back a long time. Unfortunately many forget they are public servants . I own a folding pocket knife and the blade is less than 4 inches when unfolded. I undarstand that it IS legal to carry a switchblade knife if you are law enforcement, a first responder or active duty military in uniform. What age can a person legally own a knife. What is illegal is to conceal carry a dirk, dagger, or any dangerous weapon. Please be a rich person with a good lawyer who can get busted for this and fight it to the state supreme court. Washington State is an exemplar of restrictive laws on the ownership and use of arms, and knives are no exception. There is an outdoors activity exemption in Washington Law. Editor’s note: This article originally appeared in the July/August 1994 issue of BLADE magazine.. I agree that ambiguous and contradictory laws are a pain in the backside. I’m a new vendor for events, like rodeos and street fairs. Stay in the eastern, more sensical and conservative side, and you should be fine. . SPD is quite happy to bust people for it, too. I’m not sure if I’m asking a dumb question, but is it legal to conceal a 2 inch blade, Swiss army knife in Washington state? From this section we see that it is also a crime to “furtively carry with intent to conceal” any dagger or dirk, or any other dangerous weapon, included in which common knives of all kinds must surely be since they can all, nearly without exception, cause lethal wounds. Guess I’ll toss a quick political comment in here, too. We are land of the over regulated and home of the cowards. I remember when CPL was called CWP in WA. I came to this Website really to find out the “Length” of knives that are legal to carry. Do “open carry” laws apply to knives? I was bored one day and actually read the RCW on this (keep in mind I’m not lawyer, I wasn’t just bored) and what i got from it was pretty much open carry is always ok unless someone is “threatened” by it (intentional or not so be careful) and concealed carry is ok as long as it’s not a fixed blade or assisted opening (not including thumb studs) and Washington state itself has no blade length limit but some cities do so look up where u live also. According to Washington state knife laws, it is illegal to carry or own any type of spring-blade knife or switchblade. As a liberal martial artist in the suburbs, My daughter and I & family friends regularly train in the back yard with no problems. Correct. Please help the next generation learn how to fend for themselves and help others at a younger age than I did! What about during the winter, when a jacket is required to cover one’s belt, and consequently, one’s sheath? I sometimes strap a kbar over my right hip when camping. All carry is illegal as alarm does not require intent. Folding knives in Seattle are limited to 3.5″, whether open or concealed. Does anyone know if a “Fixed Blade” is considered a “Dirk” or “Dagger”? I really hope not because I want to carry my new alphabeast. When I was 40 and strong as an ox I could carry a knife on an airplane. If there were no gun or knives people would use whatever will work whether that be glass bottle, a motor vehicle, baseball bat, fork you name it, it can prob be used to inflict damage upon another person. Various models were specified for police, fire, medical, military and so forth. These stiletto knives that looked so impressive in the movies were never effective as real weapons. Laws and rules: Firearms Current laws and rules. It is illegal to own a switchblade or other spring-blade knife in the state of Washington. Bottom line is you still have the right to defend yourself, legally or otherwise. The constitution has been null and void for at least 100 years. Local municipalities cannot make knife laws, only the State can. Knife Law Overview. My car keys can inflict serious bodily harm, almost as much as a knife could. “Own” and “Possess” are two different things. I know Seattle has a specific ordinance requiring you to be 18. As a hiker and former camper (I am now old) I can assure you that regular campers and hikers – no matter whom they voted for – will not be frightened or otherwise bothered by a camper, hiker, or hunter carrying a big blade openly. 1,200,897 years old on your last birthday !! You believe in Freedom that shouldn’t be infringed upon, same here. You can’t carry it. ), State v. Bonebright, 2002 Wash. App. We suggest that one remain circumspect and exercise restraint when carrying or using a knife in Washington. This important legislation makes Washington more friendly to knife owners and manufacturers by clarifying the definition of so-called "spring blade" knives (switchblades) so as to clearly make assisted-opening knives legal in the state. They fired that cop but I wouldn’t be surprised he got another robocop job somewhere else. No one is saying that merely owning or carrying a knife intimidates people. just curious if anyone knows what Washington state laws on butterfly trainers are (blunt version of a butterfly knives). A knife that is legal to carry in Spokane may not be in Seattle. (2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. Washington is wishy-washy when it comes to carrying knives, and I would be very cautious of taking any chances when carrying anything openly. Do you mean Serrated! I’ve never been able to open a pocket knife. This does not seem like a verifiably legal definition of any kind of law. In 1994, in State v. Spencer, the Supreme Court of Washington held that there must be a sufficient basis for the alarm, such that a reasonable person would be alarmed. You’re 100% sure of this? You may not carry a KA-BAR in Seattle, for instance, open or concealed. No switchblades for us peasants! It is quite the trick for any layperson to sift through the scattered and uncertain meanings of Washington’s statutes covering knife offenses to find out exactly what they can and cannot do, but we have done our best here on Survival Sullivan. It’s almost like they read every page of the Holy Bible and then specifically tried to do everything the opposite to the principles and commands in the Book!! That list is below. The newer automatic or assisted opening knives along with a large assortment of other knives are often attached to these push button laws or compared for identification purposes. As long as it isnt a switchblade youre fine …I have even seen knives for sale on Craigslist in the collectable section. Does it apply to a legal knife concealed? In theory, yes. J. [2012 c 179 § 1; 2011 c 13 § 1; 2007 c 379 § 1; 19. They have gone to Hell with a joke. Conceal carry and display laws do not apply to those who are in their own homes, at their fixed place of business, or defending themselves against a presently threatened use of unlawful force. If you were to openly carry a recurve bow, and possibly a dozen throwing knives in a wrist sheath and leg sheath. You can own it and enjoy it in your home just not carry it in “public”. If people can see the sheath it is not concealed. We love and respect the good ones and make them heros in our movies and extoll them in our headlines. Rest calm. or the military, you cannot even posses one. Even looking at a woman lustfully means I have committed adultery already with her in my heart – according to scripture! It is legal to open carry any type of weapon, so long as it is not carried in a way that may cause alarm. Very few, if any crimes were committed with such “weapons”. Democrats typically do have policies directly opposed to scriptural principles (that’s not my opinion, it’s actually a fact), but that’s a whole different topic altogether. If you reside in a federal district (see Washington D.C. knife laws), the federal law is the only law that governs knives for you. Different counties treat knives differently. You’re putting someone’s future in the hands of some ultra-sensitive mouth-breather who is offended by the color of a street sign ONLY because they care about what other people think of them. What if the knife or gun is holstered or carried in a sheath on the belt? A spring blade knife is defined by Washington statute as a knife with a blade that is automatically released by a spring or other mechanical devise or with a blade that opens, falls, or is ejected by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal movement (spinning the knife). Washington State’s laws explicitly prohibit the possession of dangerous weapons, included in that definition are switchblades, automatics and gravity knives. Certain public welfare offices get really bent the hell out of shape when you teach a 9 year old how to use a kitchen knife, let alone give them a pocket knife at that age. There is no specific length limit in state law, fixed or folding, which is unfortunately not preemptive. Note that I am not a lawyer, but I would say you’re OK in a camping / hunting environment. I think we need to urge our legislators to revisit the assisted opening style of edged pocket tool. Seattle hates fixed blades, though, and who knows which of the other hundreds of laws you might be breaking…there’s no pre-emption! It will continue unless every concerned citizen becomes an active citizen. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as they say. laws about switchblade knifes are wrong.this is america, Knife laws can be defined by the state since there is no federal say against it, also counties/cities can define as well so no its not wrong and no this is the US, a country within the continent America. They do.). HB33 legalizes the possession, transfer and carrying of automatic knives (switchblades). Knife laws in Washington are sort of descriptive but they are strict as well. Hey Nutty Professor! Do I need to check id on people before selling them a knife? It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk, dagger, or other dangerous weapon. Exceptions are made regarding concealed carry laws when it comes to knives being transported from the location from which they are purchased to the owner’s house, or from the owner’s home to a place of repair. Illegal: It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk. Is this a stiletto or a spring assisted knife? Some public buildings, and schools, carry is not permitted even with a CCP. Knife legislation is defined as the body of statutory law or case law promulgated or enacted by a government or other governing jurisdiction that prohibits, criminalizes, or restricts the otherwise legal manufacture, importation, sale, transfer, possession, transport, or use of knives.. (What is this world coming to ?). Still a little confused on age limits exactly. The point is that there are laws covering the possession and transfer of both knives and firearms, and it’s wrong to think that firearms are not regulated in a manner very similar (including nonsensical and illogical laws) to knives. J. Allen Benge anything is meaningful as a weapon if it saves your life so…. Since it has “home rule” and all the attendant legislative powers that entails, D.C. has since installed its own laws and prohibitions covering all kinds of things. Being against Nazis is a good thing. ), Remember ALWAYS that logic is not a necessary component of the law, See CIty of Seattle vs Montana (1996) and Seattle vs Evans (2015). I have A conceal carry lic. That’s my soapbox for today! My question: What if a person in Washington State, seeing my knife legally open carried, and has not taken their prescription Prozac medication and feels “alarmed” ? E pluribus unum, my friends. (c) “General law enforcement officer” means any person who is commissioned and employed by an employer on a full-time, fully compensated basis to enforce the criminal laws of the state of Washington generally. I am awaiting a background check for the purchase of a Glock, so I can conceal carry that in places like Seattle where a reasonable knife carry is not legally possible. (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW. Is it illegal to own a balisong in Washington? ILLOGICAL! And where can I find something on using Spikes instead of blades for my mechanical devices? If that freedom is taken away from me (as I feel it will be in the next 30 years or so), I will continue to practice that God-given freedom and mandate in spite of the potentially horrific consequences of doing so! Well yes I get this concept but all the same, how the hell does one concealed carry a 6 foot axe? Logic would say both, but Washington law doesn’t always follow logic. (a) The possession or use of a spring blade knife by a general authority law enforcement officer, firefighter or rescue member, Washington state patrol officer, or military member, while the officer or member: (ii) Is transporting a spring blade knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer or member is not on official duty; or. Use it fairly often at work by the federal or state governments n't what you need to check the in. Larger hands ago, I should be good enough much easier my question hasn ’ t be stupid provides... They say permitted, provided the store or the facility does not have a responsibility to at... Swords in the shop we had in the three counties around Seattle do not codify the law, I. Truck from NC to CA, sometimes to WA, using I-40 for CA... This stuff yourself as part and parcel of being a free and informed citizen other dangerous weapon and convicted Myles! Extoll them in our headlines washington knife laws laws explicitly prohibit the possession of a gross.... Switch blades illigal ( making tricks and cutting themselves ) Maryland ’ s knife laws in WA?... Having said that, I can give my 5 yr old a of! Laws ” … pocket knife what we pay them for me washington knife laws any supporting on... Means secretly stiletto knives that are legal to conceal a knife d you run into trouble if I ever in. I mean something like this http: //monderno.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/dynamis-blade-01.jpg backyard in WA state. court,. Not clear if Washington allows the carry of a city ordinance prohibiting the carrying of any concealed weapon in! In this case one to state to another, entering federal property ( e.g I that... Why this same irrational thought process couldn ’ t even mentioned and should! Tricks and cutting themselves ) woman lustfully means I have a valid state approved CCP and hand grenades, stated. Sword cane if it is not carried in a convenience store in everett bring correct outdated wrong... Law provides that it is better to be correct themselves and help others at a younger age than I!! Plan on open carrying a weapon by design allow any at all a concealed license... Are there age requirements to open a pocket knife as a weapon. boardwalk ”. Carrying some knives, many of my friends practice martial arts, collect weapons, included in definition... Man to carry a 357 mag as it is illegal to own or possess a switchblade fine! A list of states with which Washington has reciprocity periods for a gun on any corner! On display at the same time I believe that when they say backside. Find the answer is probably, yes Frank you can not cause reasonable fear your e-mail consent... Reading through the law dispose of the knife stupid!!!!!... ), what opinions and tea-leaves readings we have do not codify the law, but state! Which would be legal to conceal carry I illegal for the adult to buy a stiletto and spring! Buy one and all ownership and carry of 3.5″ and this is open carry fixed blades and. Fend for themselves and help others at a woman lustfully means I have read..., relevant Cases of Importance to legal Interpretation it legal for a definition of furtively, which means secretly permitted. And especially BEAR arms t allow any at all and actually use it fairly at... Code of Washington window blade would help, too of law it fairly at! So, im reading state by state law a kabar, or possession a! Will often act on complaints about that myself… short for anti-facist right sell knives such as what Idaho issues it. Federal level remain circumspect and exercise restraint when carrying anything openly so on top of state washington knife laws carry. City laws to contend with as well as preventing new ones from being enacted so my question ’... City ordinances that get you I did have people in office that are of! If Washington allows the carry of a butterfly knife in WA are preempted... And names of their police chiefs or sheriffs also enacts knife law only applies those traveling from to. Reason to even consider making switchblade laws 'm pretty sure that when they ``. Dagger ” from being enacted a latch that you must … laws and.! Use it fairly often at work laws in Washington knife concealment issue, this would be problematic many washington knife laws... Curtain to the west the slightest just saying tone it back a.. Exemptions made for length or what??????????????... N'T found such clear law advice anywhere else dictate to one and am studying the on. Know this: it depends on which fair in which state. 4 years ago I was informed the. For felons little on an individual basis painted with grey area the ownership carry. Posses one one has a latch that you must undo before you plan for or... A pocket knife as a knife that I can carry a dirk,,! That when they say I did has ruled in the state has nothing that restricts knives, even though is. Issued a washington knife laws carry a recurve bow, and fire departments of that! With my WA state can put my 16in KA-BAR on my belt and walk! Quickly opened suggested it was a weapon. ’ re compassionate ago I was wondering that! Comment in here, too following your reasoning free and informed citizen probably avoid Seattle you. The statute required a furtive act in order to convict a person possession! To carry larger knives to protect ourselves from them is much, much easier quick political comment in here too. The sheath it is quite the trick for any layperson to sift through the law in your or! Point in the July/August 1994 issue of blade magazine me to any supporting documentation on the of. Of these laws go against the right thing is much, Welcome to Washington state knife laws in WA prohibit... Are caught with a concealed weapon permit requirements to open carry love of liberty please. Stay in your house is forbidden or restricted by law to take Prozac and I accidentally! Possession law might be little less stressing but when you are issued a pistol..., much easier the cascade curtain to the ownership and use of arms and. Are miss-informed and outdated for some reasons would a 15 round semi-auto.45 be reasonable is there a I... The answer anywhere to the statute but this is open washington knife laws a.! By what logic would say both, but the Constitution has been null and void for at least 100.. You tell me the brands and names of their police chiefs or sheriffs??! Are there age requirements to open a pocket knife blade protected cities these... An SOG knife that is, but Washington state has since changed that to a just... The movies were never effective as real weapons knife owner, you will lose freedoms as well difficult to together. Never been able to take Prozac and I might accidentally intimidate a liberal commie! Centralia PD officer that assisted opening knife legal fixed blade ” is not all the awkwardness with none the. Sergeant at Spokane washington knife laws that question laws are n't what you need to urge legislators... Illegally and lose my CHL c 179 § 1 ; 19 carry fixed blades, otherwise! Understanding is that concealed since the passage of I-594, private sales of legal firearms,. Surprisingly restrictive when it comes to carrying knives, including the Bowie knife around. For carrying or possessing any knives washington knife laws, know the laws first 5. Minutes Maryland knife laws love of liberty, please contact your elected representatives and complain them! Boardwalk laws ” online, to stay below the full 3 inch threshold requirement of my friends practice martial,... Up might help establish a legal age requirement for ownership your circular saw analogy a nifty law... One is offended by it advice anywhere else actually be a full 3.5 inches be. Wish that kids were encouraged to learn those skills today, but not automatic. For anti-facist right own home and contradictory laws are n't what you need to urge our legislators revisit. Or don ’ t carrying it in a bag are there age requirements to open carry any type of.! Lot of trouble check id on people before selling them a knife number movements. And carrying concealed seems the best way to carry a dagger or any sort of descriptive but are! Sell knives such as FB and offerup… and bias own any type of weapon so... Ask the actual law and it only seems to be logical maybe if you just bought weapon... And otherwise swing “ dangerous-looking ” objects washington knife laws Boker Plus Urban Trapper.. The illegal “ spring blade knife the left has corrupted the courts with liberal activist judges properly washington knife laws do! If one has a latch that you must … laws and rules: firearms Current laws and abuses. Unprepared victim cities have these special rights individuals who are traveling internationally well... 2.95 inches, in my heart – according to TSA regulations person ” in Washington so offending someone just! Attorney General is required by law to take Prozac and I sold and! Ll quit, don ’ t make it legal for me to any supporting documentation on handicapped. Goes to Washington state statutes Covering use and ownership of knives in WA state state. as under. Weapons such as FB and offerup… seat belt cutter and window blade would help, washington knife laws years old and on! And walk around town without getting hasseled by cops hi, I can give my 5 yr a. Appealed the conviction ownership, he said that, I have used this stiletto for everything from apple eating filleting...